Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help

Options
  • 12-10-2011 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

sorry im sure this is very simple to all of ye but not to me ;)
    6650 was divided between ciaran and sheila in the ratio 2:5. how much did each receive ?

answer i gave was ciaran 1900 and sheila 4750 but this was wrong i was told .

ty in advance for your help :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Well, 1900/4750 = 0.4 = 2/5, and 1900 + 4750 = 6650, so unless the person setting the question is using terms in a non-standard sense, or you misread the question (for example, the ratio was 2:3 rather than 2:5), I would agree with you that dividing 6650 between Ciaran and Sheila in the ratio 2:5 means that Ciaran gets 1900 and Sheila gets 4750.

Were you given the "correct" answer? That might make it possible to work back to what the person setting the question thought he or she was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

it was actually a question my daughter got in an exam . i was just looking through them and this one stood out as i thought the answer was correct. dont know what the correct answer by the teacher was. she is in junior cert and im just curious as to what other solution could be , ty for your reply

ps 2:5 is what is written down in question

Advertisement