Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance, adding driver for only few months

Options
  • 12-10-2011 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, asking here as I asked a customer rep over a phone but didn't really understand what shes about so ..

My car insurance is around 300 euro, and quote for me and my friend is 800 euro. So around 500 euro extra.

But he wants to be insured only from November - May, but its 500 extra for a year.

I was told I can insure him and than take him off anytime, but would i keep paying monthly payments for 800 euro and than after my policy is finished (October 2012) would I get refund for what wasn't used, or when I take him off my monthly payment would go down?

Btw its his first time driving so is it worth to stay on my insurance for full year, so he would get 1 year driving experience? for next insurance to be cheaper (although he will not be driving from May 2012 (end of college).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

im insured with quinn. i added someone midway through my policy and they adjusted my remaining installments to match when i added the person on. if i removed him early they would have adjusted the premium back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Both of the above examples are the same thing and is the standard practice with insurers. The added driver is deemed to be permanent until the next renewal date and they will amend the payments downwards when the driver is taken off.

If you want to name the driver for a specified time, they use temporary addition rates and these can be prohibitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Best bet is to add the driver on from your renewal date and dont tell them he will be taken off mid term as some insurers will charge you short term rates which are pricier than regular rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭illegalmidget

Best bet is to add the driver on from your renewal date and dont tell them he will be taken off mid term as some insurers will charge you short term rates which are pricier than regular rates.

they dont charge short term rates for additional drivers,

short term rates are only if you cancel a policy within the first 6 to 8 months
    in this case a driver will just be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

they dont charge short term rates for additional drivers,

short term rates are only if you cancel a policy within the first 6 to 8 months
    in this case a driver will just be deleted.

There ARE short term rates for adding temporary additional drivers. The phrase does not just apply to the cancellation of a policy

• Advertisement
Advertisement