Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Trunk Slices

Options
  • 12-10-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Anyone seen any Irish stockists of tree trunk slices?
    Looking at doing some wood related art.. Posted in Arts and Crafts as well.
    I need one or two pieces roughly 10-12" in diameter.

I've had a look online and can't find anyone who stocks them..

Can someone point me in the right direction? smile.gif

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Carri wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Anyone seen any Irish stockists of tree trunk slices?
    Looking at doing some wood related art.. Posted in Arts and Crafts as well.
    I need one or two pieces roughly 10-12" in diameter.

I've had a look online and can't find anyone who stocks them..

Can someone point me in the right direction? smile.gif

Thanks
    Do you mean sliced across so that you can see the rings circling the heartwood, as in the way a tree is cut for firewood?
    Best thing to do would be to ask a tree surgeon if he would cut a couple of slices for you. If you have no joy PM me and I can do it soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Carri, I've loads of 10" ish diameter stuff you can have few rings from for free.Some green,some seasoned.What kind of wood do you need?They'd be cut with a chainsaw so'd need some planing/sanding first..In North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Carri

A picture is the only way I can think of to describe exactly what I'm looking for.

treetrunk-297x300.png?w=148&h=150

About 2 inches thick.. (I'll be carving into it)

As for wood type - I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There is a problem with using rings like this. I won't go into too much detail on the reasons for this, but the problem is that if the pith (the centre or heart of the tree) is left in the ring, a split will inevitably radiate out from it as the wood dries.
    There are very few species which won't do this. Of the commoner species, Sycamore is one which is less prone to radial splitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

slowburner wrote: »
    There is a problem with using rings like this. I won't go into too much detail on the reasons for this, but the problem is that if the pith (the centre or heart of the tree) is left in the ring, a split will inevitably radiate out from it as the wood dries.
    There are very few species which won't do this. Of the commoner species, Sycamore is one which is less prone to radial splitting.

PEG ?

• Advertisement

PEG ?
    Yeah, that might do it - expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

just on the outskirts of kilcock town thare is a guy sell firewood and coal this man has a large sawmill and will happily cut what you need i have used him quite a few times and he will get you whatever type timber you want

• Registered Users Posts: 7 APJ

Hi, I am also looking for tree slices. Can anyone please tell me the exact location of the saw mill in Kilcock. I am new to Ireland so don't know that area around. Thanks

Advertisement