Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Criminal Profiling Real?

Options
  • 12-10-2011 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't think the post of criminal profiler formally exists within the FBI et al, but I'd imagine some forensic (and other) psychological tools are employed in certain investigations, just not as rapidly as TV wants us to believe.

Would be curious to hear more on this topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

ya it does, i seen it in die hard 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I don't think the post of criminal profiler formally exists within the FBI et al, but I'd imagine some forensic (and other) psychological tools are employed in certain investigations, just not as rapidly as TV wants us to believe.

Would be curious to hear more on this topic.

This.

Also, having spoken to a forensic psychologist about this, it seems that, for example, much of the technology they use in the likes of Criminal Minds exists, but isn't used anywhere near as readily as is portrayed. The cost is enormous so it's only in particular circumstances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What technology do they use in Criminal Minds? I've not seen more than 5-10 minutes of it. Strikes me as one of those 'well, we've been at the crime scene for 3 minutes and we know our perp has traits of narcissistic disorder' <beard stroking> type of thing.

There is the Academy Group, which is basically a bunch of retired FBI and other law enforcement officers who help out on certain cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

What technology do they use in Criminal Minds? I've not seen more than 5-10 minutes of it. Strikes me as one of those 'well, we've been at the crime scene for 3 minutes and we know our perp has traits of narcissistic disorder'...
    easy knowing you havnt seen much of it, its 'un sub' not perp :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Humria

Criminal profiling is used within the FBI but there is no real evidence to prove it's reliability.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote an informative and entertaining article about it that was published in the The New Yorker and republished it in his book.

http://www.gladwell.com/2007/2007_11_12_a_profile.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

You have to see this talk - a neuroscientist patterns the brains of serial killers.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/jim_fallon_exploring_the_mind_of_a_killer.html

Advertisement