Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a 9Ft, 5Wt Fly Rod

Options
  • 12-10-2011 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Made A Huge mistake buying an Abu Garcia Fly-Rod Yesterday, It's just not my kind rod. I got it After I bought a Grey's last week and it snapped, But at least I got a good reel and Line out of it. So, Anyone got a 9Ft, 5Wt Fly Rod, Preferably a Grey's GS Or something along that quality and Price range? Please If you have a photo, Post it. I would be more than happy to also Include the Abu Garcia rod and reel in with it if it would reduce the price a bit, The rod was 80 Euro which also included the reel and rod carrier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Did you get a warranty with the Greys rod? You may be able to have the broken piece replaced under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Greys will (or at leats used to) replace a broken section, without a warrenty card, for about £25

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

I think its time people realised that some of these brands are not all there cracked up to be. Most of our rods for example besides the €40 ones have a replacement piece warranty. If I were you I'd check your warranty. Abu Garcia rods are not very well respected in the industry. Saying that some people love them.

Just so people know as well. A lot of rod companies are changing their warranties now so that you cant get a replacement. I guess certain people maybe abused it and ruined it for the rest of us!

Anyways check your warranty, its the least you should get..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Corn Flake

No Warranty, I ordered it from Scotland, Again, Big Mistake. What Do you think they will say when I tell them It snapped in 3 Different places at once?.. Anyway, Back to the topic, Anyone?

What country you buy it makes no difference to warranty, once you are the original owner and ideally once you have a receipt.

I've PM'd you rod options and prices just in case you hadnt seen it.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

twomeys wrote: »
    I think its time people realised that some of these brands are not all there cracked up to be. Most of our rods for example besides the €40 ones have a replacement piece warranty. If I were you I'd check your warranty. Abu Garcia rods are not very well respected in the industry. Saying that some people love them.
    Just so people know as well. A lot of rod companies are changing their warranties now so that you cant get a replacement. I guess certain people maybe abused it and ruined it for the rest of us!

Anyways check your warranty, its the least you should get..

I think it's from years ago when Abu were one of the best manufacturers around.

Agreed Paparazzo, and I don't mean to sound condescending when I say what I say but ya along with Abu Garcia there were plenty of other manufacturers that were very good, even made in Europe!! But all that is nearly gone. Most blanks are made in Asia now and a lot of companies are trying to use their brand name to hike the price of poor quality rods and I think its not on. I know a lot more than most about the manufacturing process and its scary how many products are made by Asian manufacturers and then stamped different brand names, whats worse is the same rod might be 100eu with one brand and 400eu with another yet be from the same factory.

People need to be very careful buying rods nowadays. I hate seeing people spend big bucks and not get a return. Anyways, if I were to listen to every fisherman in the shop, at this stage every single manufacture is ****e according to them!!! But sure everyone has a favourite I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

PMed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I know a lot more than most about the manufacturing process and its scary how many products are made by Asian manufacturers and then stamped different brand names, whats worse is the same rod might be 100eu with one brand and 400eu with another yet be from the same factory.

well then maybe you should point out these rod manufacturers.

@ Ironbluedun

You may not be aware but we are a retailer, I have our website up on my profile and on our website we have our address and phone number. I sign off on all my posts with my real name. My point is, I can not hide behind a user name. I must be very careful what I can reveal about manufacturers and info we might be privileged too. Its easy for other users to say what they like here but we can't. I'm sorry..

Regarding the rods I cant say names as I'd be open to legal issues Im sure, but my point still stands. Do your research before buying a rod. And secondly the more expensive the rod doesnt mean its better... their is value to be had out there, shop around..

Just be careful is all. And trust me if I could say what I know I'd love it!!

Regards,

Eoghan

• Advertisement

I heard that the old Airflo rods were in fact G Loomis GLX Blanks.. go figure..

I'm on the look out for a fast tip 10ft #7 but can't make up my mind..

Airflo have changed their rod manufacturer recently but ya, all these guys seem to be in bed with each other!!!

Experimenter, what rods have you tried. Was their anything you liked or hated? Im currently testing a 10ft 7# by Fulling Mill and Im very impressed with it.. Im lucky I guess though I get to test all the rods :)

Eoghan

I don't want to be taking over the thread, I would love an Echo, but I might settle for a Airflo Airtec Nano 10ft #7..

Experimenter I PM'd you before we get given out to about thread hogging.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Corn Flake

Don't overtake the thread mate.

Chill Mate. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

@ Ironbluedun

You may not be aware but we are a retailer, I have our website up on my profile and on our website we have our address and phone number. I sign off on all my posts with my real name. My point is, I can not hide behind a user name. I must be very careful what I can reveal about manufacturers and info we might be privileged too. Its easy for other users to say what they like here but we can't. I'm sorry..

Regarding the rods I cant say names as I'd be open to legal issues Im sure, but my point still stands. Do your research before buying a rod. And secondly the more expensive the rod doesnt mean its better... their is value to be had out there, shop around..

Just be careful is all. And trust me if I could say what I know I'd love it!!

Regards,

Eoghan

i am looking for a new rod myself for next year so was just interested in your point about manufacturers. that's all i don't doubt your theory. you say more expensive does not mean better well you are 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Where did you hear that?
    If its true this thread should be in bargain alerts !!!
    I have a glx its demon....... maybe ebay second hand?
    I heard that the old Airflo rods were in fact G Loomis GLX Blanks.. go figure..

I'm on the look out for a fast tip 10ft #7 but can't make up my mind..

Advertisement