Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce Yourself

Options
  • 11-10-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

May as well kick things off with an introductory thread!

I've been singing most of my life but not too seriously. Did plays, pantos, the usual all through school but started up a band when I was 15. It's finished now and I've not had the time to get anything else going yet. I sang for my leaving cert, doing Floods by Fightstar, Something's Coming from West Side Story, Thousand Mile Wish by Finger Eleven and If Everyone Cared by Nickelback.

I'm big into singing contemporary rock and adore the voices of Myles Kennedy (envy his range big time), Layne Staley, Raine Maida, Dave McPherson, that sort of grainy sound. I don't have much ability at the moment but hopefully with some good discussion through this forum I can improve my technique and the way I look after my voice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

Well let's follow the lead!

Singing in the shower/bedroom/car for a long time but started performing in front of people about 4 years ago. Played in a covers band for a while and have been doing solo acoustic cover pub gigs since I started playing in public.

Lot of different influences fom The Eagles to Metallica to Freddie Mercury but by far my favourite singer of all time has to be Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge/Mayfield Four. In fact I had a technique question based on him so I better go start that thread now and hope they're are people more knowledgeable than myself on here! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Hey, I used to hate singing but found it essential for recording songs. I used to sing normally but am now more interested in singing in a metal fashion, semi screamed vocals while maintaining a melody. One thing I learned is that vocals really sell the song, one needs to put power into the vocals otherwise its like the drummer not keeping time or the guitarist playing wrong notes, it undermines the song. I guess one thing that prevents one from doing this is self consciousness, but once one gets over that and just lets rip the results are actually better than holding back, I find its easier to sing in tune with more volume. I also know now why some bands sing in a black/death metal style, its really fun to do, although not as much fun to listen to. I found this video very useful in terms of how sing in a death metal growl although I'm probably doing something wrong because singing in that style for any length of time does wear on the vocal chords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Bonjourno!

I sing, well scream/shout, I do mostly backing vocals all the time, never done singing on its own, but whatever.

You ever watched The Zen of Screaming nyarlo? I've watched 1 haven't got around to watching part 2 yet.
    The warm ups are pretty good. It's all about the warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Might as well say hello here. I'm a bassist who also plays guitar. I wouldn't consider myself much of a singer but I have tortured people's eardrums on occasion as situations have demanded. Musically my primary influences are in the rock & metal area. If I had to pick some vocalists whose style I admire, top of the list would be Burton C. Bell of Fear Factory, Jon Howard of Threat Signal and Anders Fríden of In Flames for men and Amy Lee of Evanescence and Tarja Turunen (formerly of Nightwish) for women.

Honourable mentions too for Annie Lennox and Kyoko Baertsoen of Lunascape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hi all,

I have been singing since I was a child. Was always able to sing but used to get extremely shy and didn't practice for years. By the time I hit 17, I was pretty rusty but still had talent. So I trained for 5 years and began performing in amateur musicals. I then got into bands and have done everything from indie, jazz, pop, soul, gospel, classical and alternative.

I'm lucky that my voice is pretty versatile and I can sing a lot of styles. I've worked bloody hard though and was lucky to train with a fabulous coach. I love Billie Holliday, Imelda May, Ella Fitzgerald and Mama Cass. :)

I have been writing poetry since I can remember so in my late teens, I decided to blend singing and writing together. I have been involved in various original electro acts also.

Nowadays, I am a voice coach. I work with both speakers and singers and focus very much on confidence and stage presence. I still gig regularly. I have a flamenco/jazz style band on the go, am a church singer and also a dep for other singers.

So there you go.;)

Delighted this forum became a reality. I'll sing to that!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hi all
    this should be an interesting forum

I'm in a choir second tenor/baritone started about 4 years ago and really enjoy it.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Hi all,

Been singing since I was a youngster

Played in bands since I was 13 and been in Musicals, Pantos ect

My claim to fame is my falsetto, I sing a mean Gethsemane

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

"Hi everybody"-Dr. Nick :P

Just found this page. I've been singing 3 years in an originals band but only recently began taking lessons. Much like everyone at first when singing I was very uncertain and not confident. Gradually with lessons I've found some confidence and have found my singing style improving. I still have some issues with pitch but I find it easier to spot this now and can rectify it.
    I've learned the voice is like an instrument and takes time and practice to try and master it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

hi boardies, I sing in a wedding band, and at wedding ceremonies, I also sing in a gospel choir. Love it.

x

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Been waiting for this forum! Woohoo! :)

Name is Aoife, final year BMus student in UCC, graduated from BA in Music and Irish this year-first instrument was voice.

Have a Diploma and Masters from the London College of Music in Classical Performance.. and a Masters in Musical Theatre from the Royal Irish Academy.

Teach kids all about stage presence and having confidence on stage from an early age and have recently started working for the Gymboree company as well.

Basically love to sing and it is the reason I get up everyday!! haha! Sing for weddings and in a Motown band-The Papa Zitas!-too.

Bonjourno! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 EMPI

Hey All,
    Been singing and playing (mostly) guitar for 20 years now. As I was brought up around the most amazing music (thanks to my mother) I learned in my late teens how to finally really sing. I spent some time under the wing of Frank Merryman in The Bel Canto school in Dublin. He thought me really how to take each word and make it something. Many years on I now run Eli Music Productions Ireland (EMPI) which does recording, mixing, editing etc and am the front man for the band E-Li ( www.elimusic.com or www.soundcloud.com/elimusicproductions ) I think when you're on the live singing buz you get to know your voice, but when you hit the studio, ah now that's where you really have to work.
    It took me a long time to get to that point where when you sing you are able to take a time in your life and bring it to the surface. As in, if it is a sad love song you take a heartache and revisit it. You take that hurt and apply it to what you are singing (even if the song you're singing has no ties to it) I've found doing this keeps you on the edge which really shows in your singing, your sense of the words. Some songs took me months to learn were when I sang them they really got to me. If you can open that box each time you will have the crowd in the palm of your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I never knew this forum existed before!
    I've been singing for about 16 years now. Joined choir when I was 14 to get over my fear of speaking in public/being on stage in front of people, and it turned out I had a knack for singing. I've studied privately and am trained in classical voice. My voice is somewhere between lyric mezzo and contralto. I've sung in numerous choirs and ensembles, performed solos as part of shows. But it's mostly just a hobby and something I do to release creative energy and feel good.

Advertisement