Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

query?

Options
  • 11-10-2011 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

With the bar or without? What branch Emergency medal's you refering and is there any clasps?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Veles wrote: »
    whats with the roll eyes?attitude much?
    with bar on one,without on the other and local security force..

Oh, not at all - sorry didn't wanted t offend. Just curious, because value can varie a hundreds of euros.

If black and tan is without the clasp, then I have seen them selling from 250 up to 400 (now depend is it with the box, is the owner known, etc)

Emergency medal - Security Force with the clasp - I can be wrong but I think less then 100 euro. I think I bought one similar one for 60 euro once (don't remember the branch now but I quess it was the same).

I hope other knowledged Irish collectors can help you out.

Regards,

Timo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Re the Emergency one this might help :

http://www.theeasterrising.eu/240_WorldWarTwo/ww2.htm

If you determine the branch (specialty ones are valuable) go to whytes.ie
    archives - independence- last auction price list - and you may find the current value. Re the Tan War one Phaethon is right on those imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Morlar wrote: »
    Re the Emergency one this might help :

http://www.theeasterrising.eu/240_WorldWarTwo/ww2.htm

If you determine the branch (specialty ones are valuable) go to whytes.ie
    archives - independence- last auction price list - and you may find the current value. Re the Tan War one Phaethon is right on those imo.
    Anyone know where is the best place to sell medals.?

• Advertisement

Depend what medals. Irish, British, etc?

phaethon wrote: »
    Depend what medals. Irish, British, etc?
    I found out a little about them , I have two British world war one medals and one Irish medal from 1939 and a French rose amethyst swivel fob on a black ribbon , also a Christmas cigarette tin, they have always been in the house so just wanted to know the history behind them . Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

alie wrote: »
    I found out a little about them , I have two British world war one medals and one Irish medal from 1939 and a French rose amethyst swivel fob on a black ribbon , also a Christmas cigarette tin, they have always been in the house so just wanted to know the history behind them . Thank you

Hi there,it sounds like you have a British War and Victory medal pair(are both medals circular?) with what sounds like a Princess Mary Christmas tin.Both WW1 medals will have the recipients number,rank,name and regiment impressed on the edge of the medals or in the case of a 1914 or 1914/15 Star medal which will have the naming on the reverse.The medals will vary in price according to condition,rank and also regiment for example.A lot of the time these soldiers can often be researched if records have survived and uncover a lot about the person,if you wish you can post up the details here and we can have a look for you.Is the Irish medal dated with a bar on the ribbon with dates of 1939 to 1946?

arnhem44 wrote: »

Hi there,it sounds like you have a British War and Victory medal pair(are both medals circular?) with what sounds like a Princess Mary Christmas tin.Both WW1 medals will have the recipients number,rank,name and regiment impressed on the edge of the medals or in the case of a 1914 or 1914/15 Star medal which will have the naming on the reverse.The medals will vary in price according to condition,rank and also regiment for example.A lot of the time these soldiers can often be researched if records have survived and uncover a lot about the person,if you wish you can post up the details here and we can have a look for you.Is the Irish medal dated with a bar on the ribbon with dates of 1939 to 1946?[/Quot
    Sjt john mullen 9526. Round medal the great war for civilization. And the other English one is the star medal with a bar engraved 5th Aug _22nd November.1914. The other is an Irish emergency medal with a bar 1939_1946 .

Hi there,it sounds like you have a British War and Victory medal pair(are both medals circular?) with what sounds like a Princess Mary Christmas tin.Both WW1 medals will have the recipients number,rank,name and regiment impressed on the edge of the medals or in the case of a 1914 or 1914/15 Star medal which will have the naming on the reverse.The medals will vary in price according to condition,rank and also regiment for example.A lot of the time these soldiers can often be researched if records have survived and uncover a lot about the person,if you wish you can post up the details here and we can have a look for you.Is the Irish medal dated with a bar on the ribbon with dates of 1939 to 1946?[/Quot
    Sjt john mullen 9526. Round medal the great war for civilization. And the other English one is the star medal with a bar engraved 5th Aug _22nd November.1914. The other is an Irish emergency medal with a bar 1939_1946 .
    I think he was in the royal Irish fuesillers . I also have a plaque engraved with his name. I vaguely remember my late mother saying it was made from a cannon.

• Advertisement

He was 19 when he was blown to pieces in galpoli

Hi alie,if he was killed in Gallipoli he would of been most likely in the 5th battalion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers.The bronze plaque is his death plaque with his name cast on the front,these were given to next of kin along with a memorial scroll after the war but they weren't made from cannons.Having served in Gallipoli he would of been entitled to a 1914/15 Star trio so there should be another medal with the two you have.It isn't uncommon though to find medals missing from each other as some would of been split amongst family,sold,lost or even scraped for there silver content.

Hi alie,if he was killed in Gallipoli he would of been most likely in the 5th battalion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers.The bronze plaque is his death plaque with his name cast on the front,these were given to next of kin along with a memorial scroll after the war but they weren't made from cannons.Having served in Gallipoli he would of been entitled to a 1914/15 Star trio so there should be another medal with the two you have.It isn't uncommon though to find medals missing from each other as some would of been split amongst family,sold,lost or even scraped for there silver content.
    Thank you so much for all that info. I do remember there was another one, its up in the attic I hope, some boxes never opened when we moved, I can't find anything on the fob, some like it but not the same. My cousin has informed me she is going up to the national war museum in London next week. So I hope she uncovers some more information. We heard his name is on the memorial in Belgium, some day we will go. All this history stuff has me hooked . Love finding out things. I just wish I had asked my parents more questions regarding my family when they were alive.

Hi again alie,if your cousin goes to the National Archives in Kew then they may find a service record for this soldier if it survived the bombing of WW2.One third of records only exist due to fire and water damage.Alternatively the Ancestry website can be searched for the scanned versions of these records and would save a trip.As for his name,this won't appear on any memorial in Belgium.His name will appear on one of the memorials at Gallipoli either the Helles Memorial,The Lone Pine,Chunuk Bair or the Hill 60 Memorial.Naval personnel lost or buried at sea would have there names on the naval memorials back in the UK.I do hope you find some info and the other medal,it would be really nice to have them all together.Best of luck.

Hi again alie,if your cousin goes to the National Archives in Kew then they may find a service record for this soldier if it survived the bombing of WW2.One third of records only exist due to fire and water damage.Alternatively the Ancestry website can be searched for the scanned versions of these records and would save a trip.As for his name,this won't appear on any memorial in Belgium.His name will appear on one of the memorials at Gallipoli either the Helles Memorial,The Lone Pine,Chunuk Bair or the Hill 60 Memorial.Naval personnel lost or buried at sea would have there names on the naval memorials back in the UK.I do hope you find some info and the other medal,it would be really nice to have them all together.Best of luck.
    Thanks again for all the information. She said its on helles, I will let you know how she gets on, she's doing the family tree,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Is this the correct man,if so he was killed in France/flanders 28/5/1915 medal index card

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Is this the correct man,if so he was killed in France/flanders 28/5/1915 medal index card

Jaysus I must be getting old,I missed that part with his name in the post!!:(

Here's a photo of John's grave from the Findagrave website
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=mullen&GSfn=john&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1915&GSdyrel=in&GScntry=19&GSob=n&GRid=12686493&df=all&

2160755_46770518_DSCN4935JPG.jpg

Here also is worth checking out,this site gives some details of the events of the 2nd battalion during 1915.I'm sure if you serched the British National Archives website you should find the diary for the 2nd Rifles

http://royalirishrifles.webs.com/2rir1915.htm

kabakuyu wrote: »

Jaysus I must be getting old,I missed that part with his name in the post!!:(
    Thank you so much, I never knew my great grandfathers name , my son is amazed you were able go find that out, I am nearly certain there is another brother called Thomas but I might be wrong,lol, thank you again

• Advertisement

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=mullen&GSfn=john&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1915&GSdyrel=in&GScntry=19&GSob=n&GRid=12686493&df=all&

Here also is worth checking out,this site gives some details of the events of the 2nd battalion during 1915.I'm sure if you serched the British National Archives website you should find the diary for the 2nd Rifles

It's all so sad,all so young, nothin really to protect them. Brave men.

I feel very emotional, I was born 24th may, spooky.

Advertisement