Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popcorn Hour C-200 Full HD Media Player €212.50

Options
  • 11-10-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Looks like a good deal on todays IBOOD at €212.50 delivered.

Cheapest I could find on Amazon was £299.

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_specs/7130/Popcorn_Hour_C-200_Full_HD_Media_Player_with_Two_SATA_Slots_and_Networking_Capabilities/
    •Brand: Syabas
    •Type: Popcorn Hour C-200
    •Chipset: Sigma Design SMP8643
    •Supported video containers: M1V, M2V, M4V, M2P, MPG, DAT, VOB, TS, TP, TRP, M2T, M2TS, MTS, AVI, ASF, WMV, MKV, MOV, MP4, RMP4
    •Supported video codecs: MPEG1/2/4, h.264, VC-1, WMV9
    •Supported subtitle formats: SRT, SUB/IDX, SSA
    •Supported audio formats: ac3, dts, wma, wma pro, mp1, mp2, mp3, aac, he-aac, bsac, lcpm, flac, vorbis
    •Supported image formats: jpeg, bmp, png, gif
    •Supported network protocols: upnp, dlna, ftp, samba, nfs, BitTorrent, usenet (nzb), bonjour, windows media connect
    •Audio pass through: DTS, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA, Dolby True HD
    •Audio down mix feature
    •Capable of playing Blu-ray and DVD ISO’s
    •Maximum resolution: up to 1080p
    •Firmware updates: automatic and manual
    •Video connections: 1x HDMI 1.3, 1x composite, 1x component, 1x s-video
    •Audio connections: 1x analog RCA, 1x s/pdif optical, 1x s/pdif coaxial
    •Data connections: 1x 10/100/1000Mb-ethernet; 4x usb 2.0 (external); 1x usb 2.0 (internal); 2x sata (internal)
    •Included: NMT C-200 (hard drive optional), power cable, 1.5 m HDMI cable, remote control with 2 AAA batteries, short printed manual, CD
    •Manual: http://www.ibood.com/assets/docs/PopcornHour_C-200_UserGuide.pdf
    •Dimensions: 425 x 290 x 80 mm
    •Weight: 3,7 kilo
    •Warranty: 2 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

What about WiFi guys??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Good price for that machine, but they're so over priced for what they do in the first place, it's criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It's aimed at people who need higher-end features.

HD audio bitstreaming, downmix of all formats, Bluray iso playback with menu support, 2x3.5" bays etc. It'll take a Bluray drive in the 5.25" bay and give you Bluray playback straight off.

If you don't want that stuff then for sure there is cheaper players that would suit better. A lot of people just want to play their blocky 90s-era DivX videos.

At the higher end it is still one of the most popular players despite getting on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

iBOOD... you might have it for Christmas if lucky:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

much better off with a nettop for that money imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

vibe666 wrote: »
    much better off with a nettop for that money imho.

The C-200 is the best option if it is just media you want to play. much less to go wrong, and more otions for HDD and optical drives than a nettop. looks more at home under the telly too I think.

Although I have an Acer 3610 myself, and love it I would still consider a popcorn hour. I might consider changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I have a 60 quid Seagate HD player. Does 95% of what the PH does at 20% the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

n97 mini wrote: »
    I have a 60 quid Seagate HD player. Does 95% of what the PH does at 20% the price.

For me, the biggest advantage a PCH has over other media players is the interface - see here for an example:
    http://mediaplayersite.com/Aeon_Movie_Wall

This means a 4 year old can play a movie himself without someone else having to read through a directory listing, aswell as providing IMDB ratings, plot summary etc for other users.

Personally I wouldn't be interested in the BluRay player capability of this though (actual player not included) - an A210 model would have been much more interesting.

Melendez wrote: »
    basically, it plays digital video and music files, usually downloaded from the internet (divx's, mp3's etc.) via your TV.

most of them now come with wired or wireless internet access so you can get access to youtube and other online video sources as well.
    n97 mini wrote: »
    or the sumvision cyclone 2 for £30 plus a usb drive if you didn't need the networking capabilities. even my pensioner mother can use one. :)http://amzn.to/og2N5l
    The C-200 is the best option if it is just media you want to play. much less to go wrong, and more otions for HDD and optical drives than a nettop. looks more at home under the telly too I think.

Although I have an Acer 3610 myself, and love it I would still consider a popcorn hour. I might consider changing.
    i just couldn't tie myself down with one personally.

i have all my media on centralised storage, so local storage isn't a concern and you can boot XBMC off an SD card (for a media centre even a 4 year old could use) in the R3610 and just pop out the SD card and reboot and you can have a full windows desktop installed on the internal HDD and boot into that and use whatever wireless keyboard and mouse or remote you want (or anything else) without having to worry too much about compatibility.

not to mention that you can upgrade the RAM, HDD and wireless in the future too if the mood takes you, or switch to Linux or some other OS any time you like.

as for looks, i can't see mine as it's velco'd to the back of my telly along with my modem and router to keep it out of the way. :)

• Advertisement

Melendez wrote: »
    yes, and more. obviously depending on what device you choose as they won't all have the same features.

i've even heard rumours that some people also download movies and music off the internet illegally to use with these things although we'd have none of that kind of thing going on around here obviously, all being the law abiding citizens we are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't think it's affiliated with Lovefilm or the like.
    Haven't looked at the specs, but I'd imagine there a torrent client onboard. That basically means that you can download movies/tv shows/music from a torrent site straight the the media player, and watch/listen on your tv.

Disclaimer: The torrent sites allow you to download stuff illegally if you're that way inclined. Too keep everything above board, you should only download stuff that you already have on disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Guessing the reason it is being reduced in price is that a newer version has just been announced.

another option if you just wanted a good media player would be to buy an apple tv 2 (€120 new, or cheaper used off ebay), jailbreak it and stick on XBMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

mbroaders wrote: »
    Guessing the reason it is being reduced in price is that a newer version has just been announced.
    No, the new PCH is the A-300, a replacement for the A-210.

The C-200 will likely get an upgrade at some point in the near future but at the moment it's still their high-end player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Just bought one....

gonna replace my WDTV

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Bought one too. Always wanted one of these but at the right price. I can now offload my netgear EVA piece of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

vibe666 wrote: »
    another option if you just wanted a good media player would be to buy an apple tv 2 (€120 new, or cheaper used off ebay), jailbreak it and stick on XBMC.

Is there anyway to jailbreak the Apple TV 2 if you don't have a Mac?

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Is there anyway to jailbreak the Apple TV 2 if you don't have a Mac?
    yep. :)http://bit.ly/neqmWe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It's available again today.

Advertisement