Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nervous Daughter and lessons - advice please.

Options
  • 11-10-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Daughter passed the Theory test to-day:).

She has never driven a dar before - not even sat in the driver's seat.

I want to do some work with her before she she signs up for some lessons so that can get the full benefit of the lessons.

I have an idea of what I beed to do with her, but was wondering if anyone has a structured program that I could follow.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have recently done the same with my O.H i started off bringing her to empty car parks at the weekend .
    Way i taught was.
    1. Seat position, mirror adjustment , blind spot locations.
    2. While car wasnt started got her used to going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd on gear stick and also finding reverse . If your only teaching basics this is all she needs from you.
    3. Teaching to take off in 1st including finding the "bite point by using the clutch without touching the accelerator" Then once she can find the bite point how much to press accelerator to take off properly depending on start point eg uphill/flat/downhill.
    4. Maintaing a speed in first.
    5. Braking correctly in from first gear using brake and clutch.
    6. Braking percisely to stop at a line.
    7. Learning the transition from 1st to second know when revs are correct and correct gear change procedure.
    8. Learning how to line youself up correctly for junctions /making turns use of indicators..
    9. Car positoning and sizing is a big problem some girls have, learning the correct distance to keep out when passing a parked car.

Work on these as a starting point when these can be done correctly, its probably time to get a pro in to cut out bad habits and work on the transition to proper road driving in traffic etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Let her have the lesson with the instructor first, then the base she'll be working on is right. If you start teaching her bad ways from the start, it'll be harder to fix later on.

As Permabear says, she does have to do the EDT so the sooner she gets started, the better

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Just founs this. On page 4 it list things a person should be familiar with prior to Lesson 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    The EDT course requires you to spend three hours driving before your first lesson. This not really the best idea. The OP ha found some lesson plans but really thos time could be more relaxed, 'Having a go at driving' in a big empty space. Getting an idea about the clutch helps. Although a 'pre-EDT' lesson is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kathyo

The DSA has a learning to drive book (available in Easons). For each chapter it has a section for anyone teaching a learner to drive. It might be good for both of you and it'll help you know what to watch out for when she is driving, since you'll be helping her outside of professional lessons as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Are this crowd any good ?

Advertisement