Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tail Light not working

Options
  • 11-10-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me here. The tail light on my Duke isn't working. :( The brake light is working fine, it's just the running light that's busted. I've checked the bulb and that's fine, fuse is fine, fiddled with pigtails and they look fine.

I'll be using it early in the morning before I can get to a garage to get it checked. Is there something else I can check in the meantime?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Is it a KTM duke or a Ducati? Does it have LED lights or is it just just standard blubs? Do you know if it has separate bulbs for the brake and tail light or if it has a dual filament bulb for both lights? If you're handy, just start bolting stuff off until you get the bulb(s) out. It should be obvious if the bulb has simply popped. Just look for the broken filament. It will be easy to replace it at that stage. You might need help from a grownup if the filament(s) are intact but there's still no tail light.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

ahhh thanks, it's a ducati. I had the bulb out last night, is a dual filament and it's working fine (tried it on another bike). Played around with the wiring but still no luck. I'll be dropping it in tomorrow to get it sorted because there's only so much wiggling with wires you can do before you have to give up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

Bit of a long shot, but as you didn't mention whether you have headlights/indicators/gauge lights working...

I know nothing about Ducati's but I just ran out to my own bike (Yamaha) to check...

Do you have a handlebar switch for lights - OFF - PARKING - ON ?

On my bike, if I have that switch set to OFF and turn the ignition key, I get no lights at all, not even the neutral green.

But the brake light in that position will come on if I apply brakes.

Is there any chance you have that switch and possibly flicked it to OFF by mistake ?

Other than that, if you tell me exactly the bike you have I can try to find a wiring diagram online, and have a look for you. A bit late in the day I know.

Good luck with it anyway.

Thanks UB, headlights and indicators are all working, it's only the damned tail light that's banjacksed.

No luck today either. Popped in to my mechanic and he gave it a quick once over but there's nothing obvious to what the problem is. Have it booked in for a service next week so it'll be sorted then...hopefully :o

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

OasisGirl wrote: »
    Thanks UB, headlights and indicators are all working, it's only the damned tail light that's banjacksed.

No luck today either. Popped in to my mechanic and he gave it a quick once over but there's nothing obvious to what the problem is. Have it booked in for a service next week so it'll be sorted then...hopefully :o

OK OG :D

Hopefully it won't be too costly. Probably something very simple like a broken solder joint.

Would like to know how you get on with it, will you post when you find out, please ?

All the best.

• Advertisement

OK OG :D

Hopefully it won't be too costly. Probably something very simple like a broken solder joint.

Would like to know how you get on with it, will you post when you find out, please ?

All the best.

Got it sorted out today. Couldn't find out where the fault was so a new wire had to be run to the light and that did the job. On the plus side the back brake pads were on their last legs so got them done as well while getting everything I could from old ones :)

Advertisement