Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choke not really doing much

Options
  • 11-10-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

Two weeks ago I had to use the choke. Fully open it idled at 4k revs.

Last week I got an oil and filter change.

Today I had to use the choke to start and it stalled on me fully open.

Once it warmed up by me holding the throttle open it ran fine.

The temperature was the same both mornings. Is this related to the service or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Chippy01

QUOTE]

Does that mean that you had someone else do the oil and filter change?
    If so, go back and ask them what else they did as your choke doesn't appear to be working any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Chippy01 wrote: »

QUOTE]

Does that mean that you had someone else do the oil and filter change?
    If so, go back and ask them what else they did as your choke doesn't appear to be working any more.

Ya got it done at a mechanics.

Im just wondering if an oil and filter change could effect the choke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

The temperature was the same both mornings. Is this related to the service or something else?

I assume you mean fully closed. The normal position for the choke, on a warned engine, is fully open.
    Having to close the choke to start a cold engine would be considered normal. Possible your engine was running a bit rich and was adjusted when serviced. Now choke has to be closed to start it.

I am not sure you actually have a problem. If you can open the choke after a few minutes warming up, and the bike then idles correctly , I would think everything is ok.

rock22 wrote: »

I assume you mean fully closed. The normal position for the choke, on a warned engine, is fully open.
    Having to close the choke to start a cold engine would be considered normal. Possible your engine was running a bit rich and was adjusted when serviced. Now choke has to be closed to start it.

I am not sure you actually have a problem. If you can open the choke after a few minutes warming up, and the bike then idles correctly , I would think everything is ok.

When I pull out the choke fully I still need to manually open the throttle in the mornings till it warms up.

When its warm the difference between the choke open and closed is less than 500rpm

If I don't hold the throttle till warm it will stall.

Im just gona bring it back to the mechanic.

The choke is actually causing the bike to stall more than if i try and start it without the choke.

• Advertisement

Just been to the mechanic (Fork seal poped on the way over but thats another story)

He told me that the choke should not significantly increase the rpm (so the 4k rpm i was seeing before is incorrect???) and should be pushed back in as soon as the bike started and not left pulled out until the bike warms!

This does not sound right to me. I questioned him a few times about it but he was sure.

I dont really know enough to question a qualified mechanic!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Just been to the mechanic (Fork seal poped on the way over but thats another story)

He told me that the choke should not significantly increase the rpm (so the 4k rpm i was seeing before is incorrect???) and should be pushed back in as soon as the bike started and not left pulled out until the bike warms!

This does not sound right to me. I questioned him a few times about it but he was sure.

I dont really know enough to question a qualified mechanic!

Full choke would probably double your normal idle speed (I think)
    To start from cold put the choke on full and hit the starter. Give it a little bit of throttle if needed, but when it has started adjust the choke so that the idle speed is slightly higher than normal. For example if your normal idle is 1,000rpm try to set your 'choke idle' somewhere around 1,200 to 1,500rpm.
    As the engine warms, the choke can be eliminated. If you are riding before you have fully warmed up, you can switch off the choke totally after about a kilometre or two.
    That's how mine works.

Advertisement