Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Island - camper van in November

• 11-10-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭

I've got about 2 weeks free time in the South Island after a wedding in early November.

Has anyone spent time in a camper van (I'm thinking Freedom campers smallest vans) in November.
    • What's the weather like ? (I'm thinking Nelson-ish AND Dunedin!)
    • I like hot showers etc, so what are the motor camps like then?
    Last time I did a trip like this, it was February (tourist season and hot) and I was single and living in NZ so kinda knew what was going on. Now it's 15 years later, I will have a man with me, and have been overseas for a few years. Feeling a little short of local knowledge

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Weather will be well on its way to picking up around then, should be nice and warm though not quite the height of summer. Just bear in mind the south island has fairly tempramental weather especially around the southern alps and the west coast, so be prepared for the occasional bit of iffy weather. Nelson shouldn't be too bad for weather I would think, Dunedin might be a bit cooler being further south but it's drier that side of the island than the west afaik. It'll be worth it though, a truly stunning part of the world :D

I never used camper vans when I was over there, generally hitched or took the bus but this crowd were pretty popular with backpackers: Wicked Campers. Been noticing a few of their vans around Ireland now too.

THe motor parks/camp sites should all be up and running by that time of year and they generally have really good facilities. A cheaper option would be department of conservation campsites(DOC) they're extremely cheap, some are even free but I wouldn't expect hot showers, they're not all suitable for camper vans either. You can find them by region here: DOC Campsites

Advertisement