Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunch of unrelated general questions...

Options
  • 11-10-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Gold star to anyone who answers these questions!

1. Who finds they can live with just a MB, and no car...and how? Assuming no kids...

2. How does the cold/rain affect you and does it put you off riding/commuting?

3. I'm 5" 6'5 and about 11.5 stone. What are the advantages/disadvantages of being small/tall/heavy/light when it comes to riding a moto?

4. Is clocking the miles common/easy? I know how easy it is to clock some cars and I've even (unknowingly) bought a clocked car before...Are there any tell tail signs that a bike has been clocked? Apart maybe from obvious exterior wear...

5. If I buy private, where'd be a good/affordable/reputable place in Leinster/Wicklow/Dublin to to give the bike a service and a check over, for a peace of mind? I know too many dealers will change the oil and say "yeah, it's grand".

6. Does storing outside in Irish weather, with a decent cover, provide enough protection so as to not damage or cause premature wear to the bike?

7.Can you recommend good place to purchase PPE? I know from my cycling days that it's very very easy to buy pure sh*te at ridiculous prices, when it comes to clothing.

Cheers
    rat_race

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I doubt I'll get a gold star, everyone has different experiences/knowledge to share, but here's mine....

1. For a long time, all I had was a bike. Commuting, spins, shopping etc. all done on the bike. I only got a car when I had kids. So yes, it's possible.

2. If you are riding in wet/icy weather, and it gets through, it WILL affect your riding as you lose focus and attention. Get decent w/proof gear and proper gear that will keep you warm and you'll be fine. Obviously you have to adapt your riding if riding in rain, but that's a whole other thread!! As for putting you off? It depends on you! I ride in rain, wind, ice, snow...it doesn't phase me in the slightest. But there are others who would refuse to do it. Each to their own.

3. Weight/height doesn't really make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. The only time it might is if you're 6ft 6 in and trying to ride something like an R125. You'd be like an elephant on a bicycle! :D

4. I can't tell you if it's common or not to buy a "clocked" bike, but I presume it is. From my own experience, I've never come across it. Tell-tale signs would be overall condition of the bike. If it's a pro, you might not see any though. If someone is willing to cover it up bad enough, they could put on new grips so you don't see wear. New chain & sprockets for the same reason. And giving the bike a good clean and service would be another cover too. Generally speaking, it doesn't happen that much AFAIK.

5. There are numerous places to service the bike for you and not take the piss. GMC in Bray is pretty decent, Dog's Box in Kinnegad the same. Poleon Motorcycles in Trim, Lucan Motorcycles...there's loads.

6. Ideally, get the bike in a garage or shed. If neither option is available, get a decent cover. Not a €10 piece of ****e that will rip at the slightest breeze. MotoGP and Oxford do a decent cover. My bike is outdoors 24/7 (even in the snow and ice last year) and I've never had a problem. The cold can drain the battery though, so get a trickle charger.

7. Where to buy clothing?? Save yourself a fortune and go up north if you can. Hein Gericke and Crossans do great gear and won't break the bank. The brands they do aren't ****e either!! AGV, Alpinestars, RST, Shark, Spada etc. Some of it would be dearer than others, but it's still a lot less than you will pay here.

Hope that all helps somewhat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I managed a couple...
    rat_race wrote: »
    Hi,

1. Who finds they can live with just a MB, and no car...and how? Assuming no kids... We were a two car and one bike family. I got rid of my car and now pretty much only use my bike. I have 4 kids, so a car is essential. That said, my oldest daughter loves the bike, so I do the school run for her quite a bit.

2. How does the cold/rain affect you and does it put you off riding/commuting? I don't really suffer from cold, too fat, so that doe snot bother me. Joking aside, there is no excuse to be cold these days. There are too many options for gear to have to suffer the cold. The rain does not bother me either, though it does obviously change he manner in which you will ride. Ice and snow are tricky... For when I can't ride the bike due to dangerous conditions I will either work from home or hire a car.

3. I'm 5" 6'5 and about 11.5 stone. What are the advantages/disadvantages of being small/tall/heavy/light when it comes to riding a moto? Larger people can, generally, ride larger bikes. Larger bike offer more protections from the elements and if you come off. Beyond that I don't think there is much of a difference.

4. Is clocking the miles common/easy? I know how easy it is to clock some cars and I've even (unknowingly) bought a clocked car before...Are there any tell tail signs that a bike has been clocked? Apart maybe from obvious exterior wear... Can't help here I'm afraid.

5. If I buy private, where'd be a good/affordable/reputable place in Leinster/Wicklow/Dublin to to give the bike a service and a check over, for a peace of mind? I know too many dealers will change the oil and say "yeah, it's grand". Can't help here either.

6. Does storing outside in Irish weather, with a decent cover, provide enough protection so as to not damage or cause premature wear to the bike? I think a decent cover offers pretty good protection. Do a google search for "All year biker" and get booked for one of there Irish sessions. I can highly recommend.

7.Can you recommend good place to purchase PPE? I know from my cycling days that it's very very easy to buy pure sh*te at ridiculous prices, when it comes to clothing. Never bought gear in Ireland, so again I am sorry, I can't help.

Cheers
    rat_race

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

7. Where to buy clothing?? Save yourself a fortune and go up north if you can. Hein Gericke and Crossans do great gear and won't break the bank. The brands they do aren't ****e either!! AGV, Alpinestars, RST, Shark, Spada etc. Some of it would be dearer than others, but it's still a lot less than you will pay here.
    Even the Hein Gericke own brand stuff is pretty good.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

1. Due to fortunate circumstances I have the use of a car when I need it but would happily live without it

2. Not too bothered by cold and rain. My commute is short though. I've good quality waterproof insulated gear and heated grips. Used a heated waistcoat once but found it was too much.

3. Being big and heavy is a disadvantage to learners as it limits bike choice a bit. Being small can be a disadvantage later on but I've seen a 5 foot lady on an 1150GS, its all in the head really.

7. I buy most of my gear when I'm away. Got a helmet for 180 sterling in the Isle of Mann that costs nearly 400 in Ireland.

Don't really have enough experience to answer the rest.

3. I'm 5" 6'5 and about 11.5 stone.
    Penis size?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hi,

1. Who finds they can live with just a MB, and no car...and how? Assuming no kids...

its easy you need good gear and a ack box, i got my shopping delivered weekley

2. How does the cold/rain affect you and does it put you off riding/commuting?

makes me cold and no

3. I'm 5" 6'5 and about 11.5 stone. What are the advantages/disadvantages of being small/tall/heavy/light when it comes to riding a moto?
    no big deal

4. Is clocking the miles common/easy? I know how easy it is to clock some cars and I've even (unknowingly) bought a clocked car before...Are there any tell tail signs that a bike has been clocked? Apart maybe from obvious exterior wear...
    common enough judghe the seller as much as the bike

5. If I buy private, where'd be a good/affordable/reputable place in Leinster/Wicklow/Dublin to to give the bike a service and a check over, for a peace of mind? I know too many dealers will change the oil and say "yeah, it's grand".
    idealy do a bike servicing course then yopu'll know

6. Does storing outside in Irish weather, with a decent cover, provide enough protection so as to not damage or cause premature wear to the bike?

yes

7.Can you recommend good place to purchase PPE? I know from my cycling days that it's very very easy to buy pure sh*te at ridiculous prices, when it comes to clothing.
    everywher outside this stupid state that charges luxury tax on saftey gear (the north )

Cheers
    rat_race

welcome
    i can check out or organise to have checked out bikes in sligo mayo some leitrim or some roscommon if you see something you want checked before you go to look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Hi,

1. Who finds they can live with just a MB, and no car...and how? Assuming no kids... I've done it for 10 years. Not a problem. Have a bike with panniers at the moment, it helps when you can slot a box of 24 bottles of beer into one.

2. How does the cold/rain affect you and does it put you off riding/commuting? Rain would put me off nipping down to the shops on a short trip. If you have proper gear and you but it all on, rain isn't a problem at all. Snow on the other hand is. Frost never effects me, but the snow the last 2 winters did, bike wasn't used for a month last winter

3. I'm 5" 6'5 and about 11.5 stone. What are the advantages/disadvantages of being small/tall/heavy/light when it comes to riding a moto? Makes no difference really, being lighter makes better handling if you're a racing driver

4. Is clocking the miles common/easy? I know how easy it is to clock some cars and I've even (unknowingly) bought a clocked car before...Are there any tell tail signs that a bike has been clocked? Apart maybe from obvious exterior wear... Haven't heard of it, but sure it happens sometimes. Not something I'd be worried about.

6. Does storing outside in Irish weather, with a decent cover, provide enough protection so as to not damage or cause premature wear to the bike? Definitely get a cover, but on a really windy night the cover can act like a sail and blow the bike over. Garage is idea, or if you're in an apartment an underground carpark is great.

7.Can you recommend good place to purchase PPE? I know from my cycling days that it's very very easy to buy pure sh*te at ridiculous prices, when it comes to clothing. As said before, I go to Hein Gericke in Newry. Cotters is supposed to be good too, but I really like the Hein Gericke own brand stuff, it's great quality and not too expensive. You can buy the fancy Dainese stuff, it's good, but really expensive. I find the Hein Gericke stuff as good at about half the price. Although their gloves aren't great

Cheers
    rat_race

Here's my input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Bike on its own is grand for me.

I rather ride the bike in the rain instead of the sun.

The lads answered the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

MrPudding wrote: »
    Even the Hein Gericke own brand stuff is pretty good.

MrP

Actually, yes it is! Their Gore-Tex Hiprotec boots are pretty decent and their textiles are better than most known brands!

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

Thank you all for the responses...very informative. Particularly the advice on where to buy clothing. Think I will take a trip up the North as a starting point...

You all get gold stars!

And to AgileMyth, I meant: 5' 6.5" ;) The other measurement is for the after hours forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Hi,

1. Who finds they can live with just a MB, and no car...and how? Assuming no kids... I have both, love the bike only really use the [EMAIL="c@ge"]c@ge[/EMAIL] at weekends or in the evenings

2. How does the cold/rain affect you and does it put you off riding/commuting? does not bother me, obviously ya get cold and wet :Dbut once ya have decent clothing you are ok, always bring a spare pair of gloves with ya in winter time ya never know when ya might need them. Funny thing i have notcied is that i don't ming riding in the rain as you don't really feel it with all the waterproofs and helmet on, but i wouldn't do long drives in it.

3. I'm 5" 6'5 and about 11.5 stone. What are the advantages/disadvantages of being small/tall/heavy/light when it comes to riding a moto? None really except if you want a bigger bike ya might not be able to reach the ground:p

4. Is clocking the miles common/easy? I know how easy it is to clock some cars and I've even (unknowingly) bought a clocked car before...Are there any tell tail signs that a bike has been clocked? Apart maybe from obvious exterior wear... No experience

5. If I buy private, where'd be a good/affordable/reputable place in Leinster/Wicklow/Dublin to to give the bike a service and a check over, for a peace of mind? I know too many dealers will change the oil and say "yeah, it's grand". Used to have my own mechanic down the road from me until he fecked off to the UK:D Poleon in Trim gets good reviews
    6. Does storing outside in Irish weather, with a decent cover, provide enough protection so as to not damage or cause premature wear to the bike? My bike is outside all the time locked in the front garden, i throw the cover on it ocassionally if the weather is bad and i wont be using it for a bit.

7.Can you recommend good place to purchase PPE? I know from my cycling days that it's very very easy to buy pure sh*te at ridiculous prices, when it comes to clothing. As the lads said go up North, usually get gargins and its worth the trip up as you can pick some stuff up cheaper, helemts for one. Here in Dublin i would prob suggest Cotters, Simon is good lad

Cheers
    rat_race

Here is my opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement