Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scans in Sligo General

Options
  • 11-10-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm 12 weeks gone tomorrow and have an appointment with my gp, who says he will go through the paperwork with me to get a hospital appointment. He's said this the last 4 times I've been in and keeps putting it off. He mentioned a scan at 16 weeks, but from what I'm hearing, a lot of hospitals seem to do it at 12 / 20 weeks. Just wondering if anyone has been to Sligo General and if so, at what stage did you recieve your scan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

My GP didn't even want to see me till 12 weeks, so you're lucky you've had 4 appoints already :rolleyes:

My GP is in Donegal but I went to Sligo hospital for deliveries. It was my local outreach midwives' clinic which put in the scan referral, and I didn't even go to them until week 20 or so. Didn't have my one & only scan on each of my pregs until around week 22-24.

Each GP seems to handle pregs differently, so if you're really pushed for a scan prior to week 20 you may have to push.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

In Galway apparently its one scan at 20 weeks, but I was told since I have twins (and other hormonal issue to check) I would likely be called in more often.

I got a private scan at 7+4 and another one tomorrow at 9+4. Too impatient to wait for the public system! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

Have a look at http://www.bump2babe.ie/maternity_unit_sligo_general_hospital/services/early_pregnancy/#faqs

It seems they(did anyway) accept self referral to the hospital as well as via a gp. First antenatal appointments seem to be at the 18 week Mark. These are the latest stats for maternity hospitals 2009 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

In Sligo, it's one scan at 20 weeks. Although I had one at 12 weeks as well because I had a bit of spotting that I was worried about, but luckily it turned out to be nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Congratulations :) I'm going to Sligo also. I had 1 scan at 20 weeks. I also got a very very quick scan at my first hospital appointment when I went to see the consultant this was Dr Sallam who is no longer there so I'm not sure if the other consultants do this quick scan at your first appointment.

My GP got me to fill in all the paper work when I went to her to confirm my pregnancy but she didn't send it to the hospital until 12 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

Thanks for the advice ladies. My gp sent off the paperwork yesterday and said I should get a scan between 16-20 weeks. Thinking about getting a private one with dr sallam in the meantime, for a bit of reassurance!

pity Dr Sallam is gone, he was great :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Is he in where they do the 3d and 4d scans now?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

Yeah, in the OptiMum place in Quayside. He's between there and St. Joseph's

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Frenchbebe

Hi,
    I see St Josephs has 4 gynes, can anyone recommend one? Is Dr Sallam the best?

• Advertisement

Frenchbebe wrote: »
    Hi,
    I see St Josephs has 4 gynes, can anyone recommend one? Is Dr Sallam the best?

yes, he is, without a doubt. He was my consultant the first time around, and also this time until he was let go. I'd love to be able to go back to him but can't afford to go private :( I'd definitely highly recommend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Frenchbebe

Thanks Cottontail, not sure if I have the money either! But if I do, at least I know who to call. Cheers

Advertisement