Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise on dodgy builder please

Options
  • 11-10-2011 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone can help me as i don't have a clue. My aunt got a wood burning stove (Oisin) installed in her sitting room, builder charged €*** . But the stove is set back in the fireplace with barely any clearance and, in-fact, looks like it was just squeezed in. When its on it heats the whole surround. The marble and wood for the surround become too hot to touch and seem one step off bursting into flames. This guy then offers to sell my aunt a new fireplace for €****. Can anyone advise me about what exactly are the minimum clearances required and what info i must have before i approach this guy on her behalf. My aunt is elderly and lives alone and i am someone who avoids confrontation
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

....marble and wood for the surround become too hot to touch and seem one step off bursting into flames

Don't use this fire/stove anymore.
    Get the local (fire) safety inspector in.

There are no legal binding distances in cm on how far away combustible material must be from a source of heat. The real temperatures are decisive.
    A shielding with steel plates or cement fibre boards etc. might be an option.
    Get witnesses in to examine the situation, make pictures and temperature meassurements. Document these meassurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

this should be moved into stove Q&A will prob get more response there

. Can anyone advise me about what exactly are the minimum clearances required

There are several conditions to be considered in selecting a location for your Oisin Stove. a. Position in the area to be heated - central locations are usually best. b. Allowances for proper clearances to combustibles.

CLEARANCE TO COMBUSTIBLES:
    Side wall to stove 20” 510mm Back wall to stove non-boiler model 15” 380mm Back wall to stove boiler model 12” 305mm Ceiling to horizontal connector 18” 460mm Corner 13” 330mm Mantle clearance 25” 635mm Side trim, which extends less than 2” from the face of the fireplace 14” 355mm It is recommended that this appliance is sited next to and on a non-combustible surface. A minimum all round clearance of 100 mm will allow air circulation and not impede the performance of the stove.

http://www.waterfordstanley.com/SiteImages/Site_131/PDF/OisinSF.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone can help me as i don't have a clue. My aunt got a wood burning stove (Oisin) installed in her sitting room, builder charged €*** . But the stove is set back in the fireplace with barely any clearance and, in-fact, looks like it was just squeezed in. When its on it heats the whole surround. The marble and wood for the surround become too hot to touch and seem one step off bursting into flames. This guy then offers to sell my aunt a new fireplace for €****. Can anyone advise me about what exactly are the minimum clearances required and what info i must have before i approach this guy on her behalf. My aunt is elderly and lives alone and i am someone who avoids confrontation

The clearance to combustibles will be mentioned on the stoves installation instructions. If the stove is a known make they will have a website with the information.

All stoves have different clearances to combustibles. But the stove should not be getting the wooden surround massively hot to the point of ignition:eek:. In the UK stoves that are freestanding in a non combustible fireplace have to have clearance of 150mm either side of stove and 300mm above. But larger clearances to wooden surrounds. My stove is 600mm either side to combustibles.

As said do not use this stove!!! In the UK if you fit your own stove you need a building inspector from the council to visit your home and sign it off as safe to use or a HETAS registered fitter to install it. Do they have similar here as if they do get the inspector in to check the installation.

Any chance of a photo?

Stove Fan:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

Hey, thanks for the info.
    I took photos and took measurements. This stove was so far removed from the guidelines it would be laughable if it wasn't so dangerous.
    Not to mention how much he charged and then chanced his arm offering to replace the whole fireplace for much more.
    It turns out that he claims he is HETAS registered, something which I will confirm.
    He has changed his tune now that he realises it's not just a little old lady on her own that he is dealing with.
    Will have great difficulty getting money back but should be able to burden him with costs of rectifying it.
    Thanks again for the reply. I will send a photo when I figure out how to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement