Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting my research out there...

Options
  • 11-10-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    just a few questions regarding the title of this thread. Im wondering what people are doing to get their PhD research and their name being associated with it out there? im currently in the process of finalising my proposal, which I have been told will be accepted, and about to start an on line blog documenting my progress.... im wondering should I title the blog with my name or use my research topic. As said im looking at getting an established association with my name and the research content.
    just wondering what other have done?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Not sure I understand - you're finished and finalising a book proposal, or starting and submitting a research proposal?

Either way traditional routes seem to work best - publication and presentation. If you're just starting out, hit the conferences as early as you can, make sure you get on relevant mailing lists of socieities / research groups / representative bodies etc. Get something down and in the public domain as soon as you can, so you have something to direct respondents to when questioned.

I've not heard much success-wise regarding blogs unless your research is really really really interesting (I'm sure it is, but it takes a lot to convince others with the same volume of work and committments to take notice - and we are writing phd's after all).

Honestly, I think you're much better off putting the energy into the above, each one adds much-needed length to your CV

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Im wondering what people are doing to get their PhD research and their name being associated with it out there?
    I don’t really understand the question? But I’ll try and answer below nonetheless.
    im currently in the process of finalising my proposal, which I have been told will be accepted, and about to start an on line blog documenting my progress.... im wondering should I title the blog with my name or use my research topic. As said im looking at getting an established association with my name and the research content.
    Publishing papers is the way to do that. I really don’t see a blog helping you in your research career. I don’t know of any researcher who would spend their time reading the blogs of other researchers instead of reading their papers (unless it’s for the purposes of humorous distraction), which is time-consuming enough in itself.
    just wondering what other have done?
    Wrote a thesis. Published some papers. To be honest, it sounds like you’re getting ahead of yourself. The purpose of a PhD is to learn to how to conduct research – you’re not going to be a world-renowned researcher that everyone wants to follow from day one! If it produces a paper (or papers), then great. Personally, I think it’s important to aim for at least one publication from a PhD, mainly because a lot of people don’t, but it will also make your life easier when your viva comes around. If you get a paper into a good journal in your field, then that will get your name and associated research “out there”.

I hope this doesn’t sound terribly off-putting (or blunt). I just think you’d be far better off channelling your energy into your research (and publications, hopefully) rather than wasting time on a blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

djpbarry wrote: »
    I hope this doesn’t sound terribly off-putting (or blunt). I just think you’d be far better off channelling your energy into your research (and publications, hopefully) rather than wasting time on a blog.

not whatsoever... thank you for your comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I wouldn't worry too much about having a specific strategy- focus more on getting to a point where you can get constructive feedback on your work (ie conference papers) in the first 2 years or so, and go to as many conferences as you possibly can, even if you don't put in a paper for them. Talk to people at them. You'd be surprised how interested established researchers are in the work of students. I've found early career researchers the least receptive in many ways, because you can be seen as a threat. Older/ more established researchers in your field have nothing to prove or fear from a PhD student, and often love being able to contribute to your work.

Little things like having an academia.edu profile really helps (the amount of people who have contacted me via mine is decent enough), linkd.in can be good but it's not really for academics.

Basically you want to network your ass off in the first few years, do as many conference presentations on your work as you can, and try and get something published somewhere. If your work is good, and your project interesting your name will automatically get 'out there', but that shouldn't be the goal of doing your PhD. Get yourself a good grounding first, the rest will come.

Advertisement