Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddle length

Options
  • 11-10-2011 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Would a 190cm crank h20 paddle be 2 short for me, I'm 5'8 and have a tg master kayak. It will be used for river running and stuff.
    Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I'd say that a 190cm paddle would be a bit on the short side for you, I'm 5' 11" and I use a 197 crank shaft.

I've found the best method for determining your optimum length is to hold a sweeping brush or your old paddle over your head and have your elbows bent at 90 degrees. Where you hands are on the shaft of the paddle/brush, that's where you should be holding it when paddling. Measure the distance, you can add a few centimeters either side as you don't want to be holding at the point here the paddle and the shaft meet.

Well that's the method I used, and bought my paddle on-line as I was getting a good deal and couldn't get near a shop. While it's an ok method for choosing the correct paddle length, there's no substitute for visiting a kayak shop, and asking a member of staff to choose the correct paddle length for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

As Nookie says, it's personal prefrence. I'd suggest longer rather then shorter. For your hight 194-197s for river running, but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

I'd agree for river running at least 194/196

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

I'd agree with KenHy, 194-197cm would be better. 190 is a bit short for river running.

Also, why cranks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

Thanks all for the replies.
    I haven't used it yet but will this weekend. Iwas thinking it would be a bit short for me but i'll give it a go and if i find it to short i'll sell it.
    Cranks because it was cheap. H2O crank shaft for under 100euro! I would go for straight if i saw a cheap one.
    Rothai

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Werner have a good guide on their website: http://www.wernerpaddles.com/paddles/whitewater/performance_core/

I use AT2 standards 197cms and I'm about 5'11". 190 is definitely too short for creeking/river running.

Also I've heard bad things about H2Os, I know people who have used them and they say that they lack power and the glue used to attach the blades is sh!t. They also that they have lovely grips and feel really nice to paddle with though so its up to you I guess.

Advertisement