Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Named driver insurance help!!

Options
  • 11-10-2011 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hows it goin?,Im 18 with a provisional liecence,about to get my first car and concidering named driver insurance on my fathers policy on my own car (which would be in his name).
    I know its not the best idea when it comes to a no claims bonus next year and thats what im worried about,its not so much the money side of a ncb im worried about its upgrading my car to something i couldnt get quoted on with my current experience next year is what im worried about(in other words getting a nicer car next year with insurance in my own name).
    Bassically how does having a years named driver experience compare to a ncb when it comes to what you can and cant get insured on?

oh,and no this isnt ilegal>> www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

infact they seem to be all for it

*Disclaimer for the GOB****ES,sorry to all the nice helpful people for all the negitivity*
    (bad experiences with people leaving thick no-it-all comments and the thread then turning into a warzone)

no i dont want a car next year to break the speed limit and do doughnuts on public roads,nor do i want to "look cool",generaly the nicer the car,the bigger and more powerful the engine,its just life.i want a nice car for me not for others opinions of me because cars are my thing,always where,always will be.

Any help or advice greatly apreciated
    Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Where in that link does it say "they are all for it"?

As far as I know, you are not allowed to get named driver insurance for a vehicle which you are not the main driver of.

You wouldn't be the first to do it, but insurance companies are well aware of this act and may not pay up fully if it transpires that your father isn't the main driver of this car! The article you linked to implies that joining your parent's policy as a named driver ON THEIR CAR is a good idea!

It'll be expensive at first, but you should probably just get your own policy. I'm a 19yo male so I know how expensive insurance can be, but it does get cheaper as you build up no-claims bonus. And to be honest, getting your own policy at 18 isn't too much dearer than getting your own policy for the fist time at 22, as you don't have any NCB (and named driver cover doesn't count for much, if anything).
    I did the Ignition Test with Aviva (basically like an extra driving test in the tester's car - it's also free) and got a 20% discount that way which is nice! (of course, the discount only applies to Aviva, and there's talks of them pulling from Ireland - other companies might do something similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Clutchkick wrote: »
    Hows it goin?,Im 18 with a provisional liecence,about to get my first car and concidering named driver insurance on my fathers policy on my own car (which would be in his name).
    I know its not the best idea when it comes to a no claims bonus next year and thats what im worried about,its not so much the money side of a ncb im worried about its upgrading my car to something i couldnt get quoted on with my current experience next year is what im worried about(in other words getting a nicer car next year with insurance in my own name).
    Bassically how does having a years named driver experience compare to a ncb when it comes to what you can and cant get insured on?

Of course being a named driver isn't illegal silly ! :)
    ,Im 18 with a provisional liecence,about to get my first car and concidering named driver insurance on my fathers policy on my own car (which would be in his name).

If however you are unfortunate to have an accident and your sorry, your fathers policy is called on to take care of things and in the event that this Insurer investigates the matter and concludes that you have been telling porkies. Well then the whole illegal thing kicks in. Especially if they REALLY want to make an example of you and prosecute you for fraud.

You keep trying to pull the wool over these silly companies eyes sunshine, sure they've only been around this block a lot longer than you. :)

It varies on the underwriter of the policy. You should speak to Insurers. AXA transformed my NCD into NCB some years back giving me 2 extra years up the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If he already has another car insured in his own name, then the insurance company are unlikely to fall for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hows it goin?,Im 18 with a provisional liecence,about to get my first car
    If he already has another car insured in his own name, then the insurance company are unlikely to fall for this.

:confused:

oh,and no this isnt ilegal>> www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

infact they seem to be all for it..........

you have misinterpreted what they are all for......

"Join a parent's insurance as a named driver as early as possible. This will enable you to establish a safety record, which is crucial when you want to apply for insurance in your own name. Some companies offer discounts to young people seeking insurance in their own name if they have been a named driver."

.........that does not suggest get your ole lad to put your car in his name and insure it for you, it means be a legit named driver to get some experience :)

I can remember looking at things making them fit my needs too (subconsciously) :)

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    :confused:

The OP is going to buy his first car. He plans to have his dad pretend to own it, and insure it in his dad's name, and put the OP on as a named driver.

Quite apart from the question of whether insurance obtained this way would be legal, this dodge won't work if his dad already has a car insured. The insurance will see a dad buying himself a cheap second car, insuring himself as the main driver (which will not be cheap, as his no-claims won't count), and naming his son. "Pull the other one", they will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I would guess that 95%+ of drivers in this country started out as a named driver on a parents policy, be it their parents car or their own car as the OP intends. Every time this is brought up people say the insurance company won't pay out in the event of an accident.

Genuine question, has anyone ever heard of a case where an insurer didn't pay out?

tobsey wrote: »
    I would guess that 95%+ of drivers in this country started out as a named driver on a parents policy, ...........

I'd tend to disagree with that figure, the majority probably, 95% not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭illegalmidget

firstly its not Illegal in any shape or form

however, if you dad does already have his own car, you TECHNICALLY can not be the main driver of 2 cars..
    ye most people do it its not a big deal, although if say you had an accident while you were driving to your place of work or college they will probably look into it. the main user should actually be the person using the car the most.

you do have to be smart about it though. lik they will hardly belive your dad is buyin say a honda integra for himself.
    also the car wil HAVE to be registered to your dad.
    which can cause problems if you are buyin the car with a loan or on finance,

In relation to the NCB.

you will get 1 years driving experience for every year you are named on your dads policy.
    some compaines lik Aviva/zurich will give you like or like no claims bonus to years named others will just give you half. it al depends on the company

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

, you TECHNICALLY can not be the main driver of 2 cars..

Why not?

• Advertisement

tobsey wrote: »
    I would guess that 95%+ of drivers in this country started out as a named driver on a parents policy, be it their parents car or their own car as the OP intends.

But doing this in your parents car is not only legal and honest, it's actually recommended by the insurance companies.

The OPs stunt involves deceiving the insurance company about who owns the car and who is the main driver. It also won't work, since he's doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SimonF

i had someone asking me something similar recently, their partner was trying to get insured but as they only had license a year the quotes where crazy. I told them the same thing that you'll run the risk of your insurance being invalid if the named driver on the policy is really the main driver.
    They went off and got a quote on the second car, explained to the insurance company that the named driver being put on the policy would actually be the main driver and they had another policy with the company on their car. The insurance company still offered them a quote and policy based on this and it came in much cheaper than the other person being insurance on the car themselves.
    Was surprised at this, not sure which company though.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

With respect OP, nothing has really changed regarding insurance and main drivers since you created this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056375874

If the insurance company believes that a named driver is in fact the main driver, they can (and will) refuse to honour the policy in the case of an accident. If your father has another car which he is also the main driver on, that is usually enough.

Advertisement