Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best account type to gain Interest

Options
  • 10-10-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have a considerable lump sum I'm going to put in the bank this week and going to open a new account as I won't gain any interest from it if I put it in my current account.

I'm with AIB, have a basic student account with them but want to open one where I will gain interest off the money I'm going to have in it (Not sure if I should state how much here?). Can anyone tell me what my best option is?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Im in a similar situation, trying to find which account type and which bank will give me the best interest. The ammount is important but you dont need to give exact numbers, alot of accounts have limits, some don't. Also something to consider is if you want access to the money or if you just want to forget about it for a while. Accounts where you cant withdraw give higher interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Check out Best Buy Savings. All of the best rates for fixed terms, regular savings or on demand accounts are summarised there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Cheers lads, will have a look through the various rates in the different banks now, going to have a sit down with a manager in AIB this week and look at all my options..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Cheers lads, will have a look through the various rates in the different banks now, going to have a sit down with a manager in AIB this week and look at all my options..

Well - he's only going to recommend AIB isn't he?

If you are talking about more than 100 grand - spread it over a couple of banks. (Bank guarantee only covers 100k)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Ogham wrote: »
    Well - he's only going to recommend AIB isn't he?

If you are talking about more than 100 grand - spread it over a couple of banks. (Bank guarantee only covers 100k)

Bank guarantee covers an unlimited sum, not 100,000 EUR.

I agree that you should not discuss with AIB only. AIB will only sell you AIB products.

Do you want a term deposit? Can you lock the money away for a period of time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement