Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too fat for a moped?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

First time user of boards.ie, but have been told it's the best source of info so hopefully someone can help -

I'm about 6' 5" and weigh about 19 stone. I have always wanted a moped for nipping around town etc but am worried i'm simply too big!? Would a 50cc pull me up a hill or would I need a 125? I have a full UK driving licence, but am not sure what that entitles me to ride in Ireland. Some advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

3304fbb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You might find a 50cc scooter a struggle. Is go for as big as your allowed.

I assume by full license you mean car license?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Depends on the date that you passed your UK car test as to if you have the full category for a 50cc. Can't remember when the rules changed but I don't think you get it by default anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

robinph wrote: »
    Depends on the date that you passed your UK car test as to if you have the full category for a 50cc. Can't remember when the rules changed but I don't think you get it by default anymore.

Currently if you have a full UK car license & pass the UK cbt course you automatically get a full 50cc license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Can't remember when the rules changed but I don't think you get it by default anymore.

Go and ask some Garda Station to be sure - at least they should know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Don't think 50cc would be the best option for ya. A two fiddy or 400 scoot would be grand for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Oct 2006 in Ireland.
    zom wrote: »
    Go and ask some Garda Station to be sure - at least they should know.

I find they don't know much about Irish laws never mind UK licensing laws.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Currently if you have a full UK car license & pass the UK cbt course you automatically get a full 50cc license.
    Yep, but before they brought in the cbt you just got the full category without needing anything else on passing the car test. That is how I got mine.

The category letters are different on Irish licenses as well so a Garda would probably not know. Think it is "m" on Irish licenses and "p" on the UK ones for the 50cc category.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭cookie1234

Thanks for all the responses, particularly Brian Plank!? Checked it out and my UK driving licence already entitles me to ride a 50cc, but guess I need a further test to drive a 250cc or more. Where do I start with lessons etc and do I need my own scooter first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

im bigger than you and i started on a moped and it was grand, i drive a 200cc vespa now, started on a honda x8r 50cc and it was very slow but ive had a few 50cc bikes and they have no problem driving or handling, had an aprillia area 51 fully derestricted and it pulled 49 mph speedo so there is no need to worry about not the bike not handling it, though you might be more comfortable on somthing a bit bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cookie1234 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses, particularly Brian Plank!? Checked it out and my UK driving licence already entitles me to ride a 50cc, but guess I need a further test to drive a 250cc or more. Where do I start with lessons etc and do I need my own scooter first?

Theory test, IBT and lessons, wait 6 months to do test(you can apply before the 6 months are up but can't do it before 6 months). All can be done on a school bike.
    weeder wrote: »
    50cc bikes and they have no problem driving or handling, had an aprillia area 51 fully derestricted and it pulled 49 mph speedo so there is no need to worry about not the bike not handling it, though you might be more comfortable on somthing a bit bigger.

The OP isn't licensed to drive that. A Moped is less the 49cc and can't exceed 45km/h. The Gardaí may not know or care but insurance companies do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Pavorotti managed it , so I don't see a problem.

Advertisement