Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Opt Out

Options
  • 10-10-2011 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi

I am insured with Quinn Direct. My car insurance runs June to June. I pay my insurance monthly via direct debit.

I emmigrated from Ireland in Jan and continued to pay my insurance up until June with a view to not renewing it.

I forgot however that Quinn run an 'opt out' insurance system. They would have sent a letter to my last irish address asking whether I wanted to continue with them. Non reply would be counted as a Yes. I of course never recieved this letter and so only realised it when the money was taken from my account.

2 days later I contacted them telling them I was out of the country. I supplied airline tickets and utility bills of my new address. They however are saying that I must prove the car is off the road.

Does anyone know what my consumer rights are here? They have taken over 200eu from my account. I have now stopped the direct debits and they are now chasing me for non payment of my insurance.

If anyone could offer any advice id appreciate it

Thanks
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Ski Boz wrote: »
    Hi

I am insured with Quinn Direct. My car insurance runs June to June. I pay my insurance monthly via direct debit.

I emmigrated from Ireland in Jan and continued to pay my insurance up until June with a view to not renewing it.

I forgot however that Quinn run an 'opt out' insurance system. They would have sent a letter to my last irish address asking whether I wanted to continue with them. Non reply would be counted as a Yes. I of course never recieved this letter and so only realised it when the money was taken from my account.

2 days later I contacted them telling them I was out of the country. I supplied airline tickets and utility bills of my new address. They however are saying that I must prove the car is off the road.

Does anyone know what my consumer rights are here? They have taken over 200eu from my account. I have now stopped the direct debits and they are now chasing me for non payment of my insurance.

If anyone could offer any advice id appreciate it

Thanks
    T

Tell them to bugger off you can cancel policy anytime. Exactly how long after the renewal date did you contact them? As far as Im aware there is a certain length of time after you take out a policy that you can cancel it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

dev100 wrote: »
    Tell them to bugger off you can cancel policy anytime. Exactly how long after the renewal date did you contact them? As far as Im aware there is a certain length of time after you take out a policy that you can cancel it

Its not that simple.

The only way you can cancel the policy is by returning the discs of insurance that would have been sent to the OP along with a letter of cancellation signed by the insured.Thats how you prove the car is off the road from an insurance perspective.

OP,you can cancel the direct debit with your bank and QD will eventually cancel your policy when the payments stop going through however this may effect you going forward as one of the under writing questions with most insurers is "have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled by an insurance company".
    It doesnt matter what the circumstances are,its still a cancellation and must be disclosed if you are asked it.Some insurers wont quote if you've had a policy cancelled.

Advertisement