Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing music during after a Gig

Options
  • 10-10-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi Guys
    I play a bit of music and just have a few questions on whats legal and whats not! I am no DJ by any means but instead wondered about sometimes playing tunes off a laptop or ipod before, at half time and after a gig. If my set is two hours say and there is another hour to go before the bar shuts can I just lash on a playlist on itunes? It would mainly be partys/functions in pubs, function rooms etc.
    I suppose my questions are:

is this djing from a legal point of view(It certainly isnt from a creative viewpoint I accept)?

if it is djing what exactly do I need to do to be legal?

Has anyone heard of people being in trouble for what I described above?

Cheers Everyone
    Liam

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

liamdenn wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I play a bit of music and just have a few questions on whats legal and whats not! I am no DJ by any means but instead wondered about sometimes playing tunes off a laptop or ipod before, at half time and after a gig. If my set is two hours say and there is another hour to go before the bar shuts can I just lash on a playlist on itunes? It would mainly be partys/functions in pubs, function rooms etc.
    I suppose my questions are:

is this djing from a legal point of view(It certainly isnt from a creative viewpoint I accept)?

if it is djing what exactly do I need to do to be legal?

Has anyone heard of people being in trouble for what I described above?

Cheers Everyone
    Liam

Wouldnt the venues IMRO licence or whatever have you covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 liamdenn

I havnt a clue tbh. Bear in mind I am getting paid and I guess you could argue that I am playing music off my laptop the same as a dj would.
    For example if you took the fact that I am playing guitar out of it and went into a pub/ 21bday etc and just played the itunes playlist and got paid for it would the premesis cover me with imro???
    I just want to make sure I am doing things the right way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

I havnt a clue tbh. Bear in mind I am getting paid and I guess you could argue that I am playing music off my laptop the same as a dj would.
    For example if you took the fact that I am playing guitar out of it and went into a pub/ 21bday etc and just played the itunes playlist and got paid for it would the premesis cover me with imro???
    I just want to make sure I am doing things the right way

Tbh your not going to get in any trouble either way, bang on a few tunes at the end, or route your laptop or ipod through the venues sound system on a playlist to cover your ass

• Registered Users Posts: 35 liamdenn

Cool thanks for the advice. And noone else has heard of anyone being done for playing music in this way, Djs for 21st's, pubs etc (if someone did "catch" me it would be hard for me to argue that I am not djing). I know I am probably being over anxious but I just want to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

f someone did "catch" me it would be hard for me to argue that I am not djing

doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

If the venue plays any sort of music, be it CDs on in the background, radio on during the day or bands playing cover versions, they have to have a license from IMRO. That covers any music that's played on the premises regardless of who plays it or how.

AFAIK.

Advertisement