Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what bird might this have been?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

I'm raging I didn't get a picture, we just spotted a brown bird with either spots or stripes and a long'ish neck. I snuck up on it to take a picture but my daughter came running along the gravel and disturbed it, so he ran through the field. The field where the bird was would be fairly wet, and there is a river at the end of it.

Anyone any ideas? I know this is probably a broad question! I'll keep an eye out for him and try to get a picture :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Pheasant?

Most birds fly when disturbed, but Pheasants often run instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

we would need a better description than that i think.

what size bird was it?
    what colour spots or stripes?
    any other defining features?

i would agree with mothman that it sounds like a hen pheasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

After looking at a few images of hen pheasants online I think this is what it was. It's the first time I've seen one up close so it really was a lovely, albeit brief, sight!
    Hopefully we will see her again. Do they live in groups? Might there be more of them?

Advertisement