Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12v socket on Hymer

Options
  • 10-10-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

All, searched this forum but couldn't find anything on this. I have a Hymer to which I'm installing a 15" TV/DVD.

I want the option of running on 12v for kids while driving or wildcamping and run on 220V when plugged in.

There is a 12v connection at the TV point (and one in the garage) however its not the standard cigaret socket you would plug a Sat Nav for example in, its a smaller hole. Where would I get a plug for this as I will need to change my inverter plug to one of these ?

Thanks,
    Steelboots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

it's the more normal DIN sized plug , we buy them by the box load . Safer than an ordinary Cig lighter style .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The one that i have in mine is a two pin socket type thing. You can get plugs to fit the cable too as I did. Not sure if that's the same one you're on about T.

12916.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

steelboots wrote: »
    All, searched this forum but couldn't find anything on this. I have a Hymer to which I'm installing a 15" TV/DVD.

I want the option of running on 12v for kids while driving or wildcamping and run on 220V when plugged in.

There is a 12v connection at the TV point (and one in the garage) however its not the standard cigaret socket you would plug a Sat Nav for example in, its a smaller hole. Where would I get a plug for this as I will need to change my inverter plug to one of these ?

Thanks,
    Steelboots.

You'll find a 'bucket load' of solutions HERE

I'd drill a hole beside the socket you have and fit a standard cig. lighter in parrallel off the same live and ground. It's about €5 for a cig. socket and lighter in most auto part stores.

Also I'd recommend a 12volt tv with a transformer to step down from mains rather than a running 220 volt inverted. You'll get 20% more juice from your batteries without the inverter.

Advertisement