Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The question still remains???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is torrenting legal or illegal???.

Of course it is not illegal.

What debate? On whether a torrent or the use of a torrent is illegal?
    Nonsense!
    A torrent is nothing more than a means to download something.

What that something is, and whether it is illegal or not to download it, is outside the scope of your question.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Pity there was no other method of downloading

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

so if i made a torrent site and posted that it was open i guarantee you the mods will take it down twice as fast

so if i made a torrent site and posted that it was open i guarantee you the mods will take it down twice as fast

You mean the boards.ie mods?

It is their forum and they apply their own rules ..... that has nothing at all to do with legality or otherwise of a torrent file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

You mean the boards.ie mods?
    It is their forum and they apply their own rules .....
    Ahem... given the nature of this forum I would like to think it's "open" and "our" forum and that the rules were posted with an open invitation for changes to amend them if it improves on them! ;)

After saying that, I'm not sure why a discussion of torrents is even considered an open source topic?
    I don't see myself why one thing has anything to do with the other.

PS. though I think PogMoThoin's post must answer this question definitively! There is a torrent that it is perfectly legal to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

croo wrote: »
    Ahem... given the nature of this forum I would like to think it's "open" and "our" forum and that the rules were posted with an open invitation for changes to amend them if it improves on them! ;)

After saying that, I'm not sure why a discussion of torrents is even considered an open source topic?
    I don't see myself why one thing has anything to do with the other.

PS. though I think PogMoThoin's post must answer this question definitively! There is a torrent that it is perfectly legal to download.

i was told by a mod here (not naming anyone) that all torrents are illegal,also i know another user that got warned cause he mentioned the word torrent on boards!!!!

i was told by a mod here (not naming anyone) that all torrents are illegal,also i know another user that got warned cause he mentioned the word torrent on boards!!!!

Then IMO, that is a matter between you and the mods of boards.ie, and there are sections in which to post about such things, as well as the facility to communicate with mods if you feel aggrieved about a particular decision of a mod.

Torrents are NOT illegal.

Torrents, like any other downloading scheme, can be used to download content to which you have no rights. That act is illegal, and discussions of such acts are moderated on boards - this is based solely on my reading of posts.

I suggest you discuss the matter with mods if you have a problem with the actions of any of them.

regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Torrents, like any other downloading scheme, can be used to download content to which you have no rights. That act is illegal, and discussions of such acts are moderated on boards - this is based solely on my reading of posts.

That's a very gray area. Technically the act of making available copyrighted material (sharing) is illegal (read illegal as civil not criminal). Torrenting by it's nature shares as you download so falls into that category. An old skool example would be buying a dodgy dvd down the market - buying it is not illegal but selling it is. Giving it to your mate afterward you've watched it is illegal. Other methods of acquiring copyrighted material do not involve sharing - hence are not illegal in that sense.

Torrenting though is not illegal as PogMoThoin so elegantly demonstrated. It's similar to the case taken in the 80s about twin tape decks. The ruling was that the device itself has legitimate uses therefore is fine. If people use it for illegitimate purposes that's not the fault of the device. Technology cannot be illegal basically. There are plenty of perfectly legitimate torrents out there. Linux distros, game updates, etc. I'd bet it's not a tech mod who told you that all torrents are illegal. If it was I'd double up that you misunderstood it.

I'm curious as to why this hasn't been moved - it's definitely not an OS discussion.

Orion wrote: »
    That's a very gray area. Technically the act of making available copyrighted material (sharing) is illegal (read illegal as civil not criminal). Torrenting by it's nature shares as you download so falls into that category. ........

Interesting .... reading the above would indicate that regardless where I obtained copyrighted material, it would not be illegal for me to have it.
    It would only be illegal for me to share.
    I understood it was also illegal to posses copyrighted material for which the copyright 'levy' had not been paid.

BTW, one can use a torrent without sharing it ..... although I do accept the concept works because many people share from their private resources. Nonetheless it is not necessary to share when d/loading via a torrent. It is a user choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

This is not the torrents forum its the open source forum.
    I asked what the relevance the topic had to FOSS and have heard no good reason why this topic should be discussed here.

So I'm locking this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement