Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family Income Support AND income continuance together?

• 09-10-2011 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could tell me what exactly I am entitled to as I find all of this very confusing and I have never claimed before. I am a single 30 year old, who has just found out I am pregnant. I was working full time but as I had a bad accident at work I have been deemed "unfit to return" and have recently been retired early on medical grounds. I will be entitled to income continuance after six months on Sick benefit, which is a voluntary scheme we paid into at work, but as I am only so young I will only be getting half of what my full wage would be. Will i be able to claim FIS along with my Income continuance, and if not, what other payments would I be entitled to get?? I do not have a mortgage as I am still renting, and I am now worried about being able to provide for my child when it is born. I had quite a well paid job and was hoping to buy somewhere this year, but this has left me in a spin. As my accident happen'd at work I will hopefully be getting a "disablement" payment as well, but I do not know how much this will be at the minute, and apparently it takes forever for them to process them. Any advice is greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You won't be able to claim Family Income Supplement if you are not working. Once you have been claiming Illness Benefit for 6 weeks, your entitlement to FIS will stop.

Sounds like you have your Illness Benefit and Disablement applications in hand. You can receive both of these.

- Disablement http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disablement_benefit.html
    - Illness Benefit http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/IllnessDisabilityAndCaring/Illness/IllnessBenefit/Pages/ib.aspx

Illness Benefit is paid very quickly so there shouldn't be a delay on that. If there was for some reason, you could apply to your local Community Welfare Officer for Supplementary Welfare Allowance to bring your income up to the minimum level of SWA (186 for single person, 124.80 for a partner/spouse and 29.80 for each child)

Once the baby is born, you may also have an entitlement to One Parent Family Payment if you are not cohabiting with anyone. You can get a half rate Illness Benefit and full rate OPFP together for 15 months.

Your income from Income Continuance will be taken into account for One Parent Family Payment purposes if this applies, so it may be that you will not be eligible for a OPFP payment once your income continuance kick in, but you should apply if your current income from all other sources is less than 425 Euro per week.

Disablement payment is payable on top of OPFP and the 1/2 rate Illness Benefit where these apply.

Advertisement