Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings account advice / AIB online 7

Options
  • 09-10-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Hi, I currently have some savings in an AIB online notice deposit 7 account. It is getting 2 percent interest as the ammount is over 10k. Why does the interest in this account drop from 3.5 to 2 percent when over 10k. I have never managed my money before, and was pretty clueless about it until recently. I have been looking at other options and it seems with most other accounts, the more money you deposit, the higher the interest rates.

If I was to withdraw all but 10k, would the interest automatically go up to 3.5 percent, or since it was a deposited as a lump sum, would the interest remain the same?

What would you recommend for the remainder of the money. Permanent TSB offer 3 percent AER on their online 40 day notice. NIB also offer 3 percent with their eSaver online account, reduced to 1 percent if you withdraw, but only for that month.

Basically I need some advice on what to do, as I know AIB isn't giving me the best interest.

I would like access to some of the money, but don't think I would need most of it for some time. Would a fixed term account suit me better then as they seem to offer higher interest? If so, what are some of the best options? I take it that its ok to have accounts with 2 different banks, again I'm new to this so sorry if its a stupid question.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sungem

Hi, the first €10k gets 3.5% and any balance over €10k is on 2%... you are def getting the 3.5% on first €10k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Thats good to know, but lets say there is an additional 30k. Should I settle for 2 percent on that or would it be silly leaving it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sungem

No i def think it would be worthwhile moving it... dont know about other banks but if you can do long term AIB launched a 3 year a/c on fri, min balance €25k 4.25% per year, many other shorter term a/cs in market just dont know rates offhand..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Most of the top rates are listed here - 1 year fixed and instant access

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/best-savings-rates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

thanks for the link, very helpful

• Advertisement
Advertisement