Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kinda spider is this?!

Options
  • 09-10-2011 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Spotted this fella hovering across the floor while watching tv. Actually thought it was a mouse from the shadow. Any idea what type spider it is? Got the courage put him outside. Is it just me or are they getting bigger! Caught about 5 or 6 in house in last two weeks alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ugh jesus thats sick :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from Phobias, would be better suited somewhere like here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Freaked

Cool thanks, wasn't sure what was proper forum for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Glad this thread is here. I've a spider i wanna get ID'd too :D

303096_2132080857827_1120179529_31949296_1208874700_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

a lot of large mental looking spiders around at the moment alright, must be the weather?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

wtf wow ive never seen spiders in ireland that look like any of these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Holy Jebus! That is one freaky looking dude!

The hoover is my trusty friend when it comes to removing the eight legged visitors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Holy Jebus! That is one freaky looking dude!

The hoover is my trusty friend when it comes to removing the eight legged visitors!
    You clearly are not the spider's friend! I don't believe that just existing is deserving enough for vacuum treatment. Try using a jar and stiff paper/thin cardboard and put them out.

The spider in the OP is probably a species that is quite common indoors. Tegenaria domestica. Often encountered daily in sinks etc at this time of year.

Connorzee wrote: »
    Glad this thread is here. I've a spider i wanna get ID'd too :D

303096_2132080857827_1120179529_31949296_1208874700_n.jpg

I thought the yoke I caught was nasty, that says: STAY THE **** AWAY! Looks like a black widow, different colour though.

Ya put them out and they just come back in! It not cool kill them though, they keep all the other nasty insects at bay.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Freaked wrote: »
    Looks like a black widow, different colour though.

I hope not!!

Connorzee wrote: »
    I hope not!!

You said it! Thought of them sneakin around the house, No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

the black spider is a false widow
    http://www.uksafari.com/falsewidows.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what about this dayglow bad boy i found living in my bbq? :eek:

spider.jpg

his abdomen had a texture kind of like the head of a matchstick (no i didn't touch him!) and was very luminous. i was half tempted to see if he'd bite me and give me superpowers, but i'm not that brave. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

the yellow spider could be a flower crab spider

Mark

the yellow spider could be a flower crab spider

Mark
    yeah, there's definitely a very strong resemblance with some of the pics of that spider, but do we get them in ireland and why was a 'flower' spider living in my bbq in the first place? :confused:

it was a couple of months ago now, still bbq weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mothman wrote: »
    You clearly are not the spider's friend! I don't believe that just existing is deserving enough for vacuum treatment. Try using a jar and stiff paper/thin cardboard and put them out.

In addition, if you want to repel spiders apparently they don't like horse chestnuts, so having a few dotted about the house might help. Same might be true of almonds too. That's all as far as I've heard. I've never bothered to actually verify for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MiseryCat

Those Brown spiders are harmless I just use piece of paper and glass to catch it and throw it out the window but these spiders are very annoying getting in my house around this season time,if its a huge black spider its going to go Squash with the rolled up news paper.")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Zombienosh wrote: »
    a lot of large mental looking spiders around at the moment alright, must be the weather?

+1

We've had a good few larger than usual spiders in the house over the past couple of months. I'd say around 6~7cm in diameter, maybe bigger.

• Advertisement

yeah, i think it was actually worse last year than this year. either way, we have 2 cats in the house and they like eating spiders, so they usually don't last very long. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Them, big spiders if your cats don't last long.... ;)

BostonB wrote: »
    yeah, but they do put up a good fight! :D

They don't look very friendly, not a regular spider in Ireland yet, thank god. Although they are pretty harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Can the legs be a shade of red? Found one in work, looks very similar in the body and shape except the legs are more red.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

vibe666 wrote: »
    yeah, i think it was actually worse last year than this year. either way, we have 2 cats in the house and they like eating spiders, so they usually don't last very long. :)
    BostonB wrote: »
    yeah, but they do put up a good fight! :D

That put a scene from a film involving a spider and a cat into my head but cannot remember if it is from Eight Legged Freaks or Arachnophobia.

Some cool pics in this thread. Quite like spiders although my own knowledge of them is generally confined to the more common species.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

lads where would you report a finding of posible black widows could be in the bones of 40 of them i was down a manhole today and spotted them and all the egg sacks hanging from the ceiling these are black with orange or red on their back egg sacks ive never seen anything like them before they were the size of the top of a tea spoon pear shaped

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

what about this dayglow bad boy i found living in my bbq? :eek:

his abdomen had a texture kind of like the head of a matchstick (no i didn't touch him!) and was very luminous. i was half tempted to see if he'd bite me and give me superpowers, but i'm not that brave. :)

Looks like a Cucumber spider Araniella cucurbitina

kinda makes you wonder what it was doing in my back garden in navan. not a cucumber in sight either. :)

altho it does look more like a cucumber spider than a flower crab spider, going from the pictures google has of both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement