Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking Placenames in Mayo & Sligo

Options
  • 09-10-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Lads, we all know the 'classic' Viking placenames in Ireland, like Wexford, Arklow and Waterford.
    The Vikings are said to have attacked the West - places like Inishmurray in Sligo Bay amd Inisboffin further along the coast. But what present-day Mayo & Sligo placenames can have their origins traced to them ? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Off-hand, I can't think of any in either county. It's true, as far as we can tell, that Sligo was the first place attacked by the Vikings in the mid-late 8thC, but they don't seem to have made enough impression to get anywhere in either county named after them, let alone by them.

The only name that immediately comes to mind is the Skerries, and anywhere with the same name. The name is a gaelification of the Norse word for a small island.

Whinemeal, I'll do some digging around...

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Perhaps there are none, as the placenames we have from the Vikings are from places they settled, and not where they raided?
    P

Perhaps there are none, as the placenames we have from the Vikings are from places they settled, and not where they raided?
    P

...as indeed I wrote. ;)

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

The gal in Donegal may relate to vikings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Skerries, na-sceirí, the reefs or reef islands.
    Skerries, sceirí, sceire, sea rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

An interesting piece here:
    Although Mayo has to date, very little evidence of Viking activity this situation is by no means static. At Cushalogurt in the east of Clew Bay a large Viking silver hoard containing fine examples of broad-band armrings was found. The name Cushalogurt may have derived from the name for the fortified enclosure longphurt.

From here
    http://www.travels-in-time.net/e/ireland09arteng.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thanks all.
    Yeah, am aware of that website Tabnabs, but I am really looking for a placename people will recognise, like towns or villages. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

fontanalis wrote: »
    The gal in Donegal may relate to vikings.

Indeed: Dún na nGall = "Stone fort" of the Foreigners

From what I recall it was an actual Viking longphort that was destroyed by the Cenél Chonaill (I believe specifically by O'Donnell's)

However its a name derived from Irish language as oppose to been from norse.

My own family name is a descriptive adjective in Old Irish. 'Foghlada' means raider or plunderer, a clear allusion to the occupation of any number of otherwise un-named invaders.

Everybody in my family has the same appearance, common to many from Cork, Wexford and Waterford - tall, well-built, blonde/red haired and square-jawed Swedes/Norwegians and Danes. Any of us look like anybody from Denmark, Southern Norway or Sweden. the genetic tie-up is unmistakeable.

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Re Vikings in Clew Bay Mayo

The island of Inishcuttle is said to be named after a Danish or viking Kettel ( or similar ) said to be buried there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

In Corca Dhuibhne there's Smerwick (Ard na Caithne) which is a bay they would have known apparently - it's also near Baile na nGall and it's also known as Gall-Iorras (but these might not necessarily be a reference to Vikings).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

franc 91 wrote: »
    In Corca Dhuibhne there's Smerwick...
    I have sometimes wondered about that name, as it does not sound as if it has Irish roots. How's about this?
    Smerwick Harbour was a Viking settlement from which butter was shipped to Limerick. The name Smerwick comes from two Norse words, smoer and wik, meaning butter and harbour.
    Source: http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/ballydavid/bd-history.html. I can't judge the quality of the scholarship.

PS: In doing a bit of digging to see if I could find support for the claim above, I was reminded that Smerwick is name which lost all legal standing under the Placenames Order (Gaeltacht Regions) 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I have sometimes wondered about that name, as it does not sound as if it has Irish roots. How's about this?

Source: http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/ballydavid/bd-history.html. I can't judge the quality of the scholarship.

PS: In doing a bit of digging to see if I could find support for the claim above, I was reminded that Smerwick is name which lost all legal standing under the Placenames Order (Gaeltacht Regions) 2004.

Fastnet is also Norse: Hvasstann-ey, "sharp-tooth isle"

I could be wrong on this but I think I recall an article in the "Galway Archaeological and Historical Society" about a Viking burial discovered in Connemara. Shield/Sword etc no doubt somewhat similiar to the burial found in Dublin couple years ago (on site of Dunnes in George Street?)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Among the material recovered of ancient manufacture were an iron sword of 7th-8th century date; an iron spearhead of about the same age and a Viking axe, perhaps of 10th-century date. A number of iron knives recovered may also date to medieval times. Eamonn P. Kelly, National Museum of Ireland Dublin.
    This is the only reference to Viking material in Galway that I could find.
    The dig was in 1991 and not in Connemara.
    Maybe the reference you saw, has not been included in the database yet.

slowburner wrote: »
    This is the only reference to Viking material in Galway that I could find.
    The dig was in 1991 and not in Connemara.
    Maybe the reference you saw, has not been included in the database yet.

This is what I'm thinking about, it's been a long time since I read the article, my Dad has been getting this journal for years (read them all when I was a kid)
    Sheehan, J; (1987) 'A reassessment of the Viking burial at Eyrephort, Co. Galway' Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society 41 :60-72.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 thadiisgirl

And what about a placename like Danesfort in Roscommon? Like others I'm sure, we have strong Scandinavian-type looks throughout the line coming from there.

And what about a placename like Danesfort in Roscommon? Like others I'm sure, we have strong Scandinavian-type looks throughout the line coming from there.

Logainm.ie reports it's "Lios Lochlainn" literally Viking fort (Eg. Danesfort) given that map implies it's right beside the Shannon this is hardly surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Who did Foxford in mayo get it's name ???

i..e Wexford Waterford etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Danesfort, Danesrath - anything like that tends to be something of a misnomer.
    Just so in mining terminology - ''Danes' works" refer to any signs of earthworks from the mists of antiquity.
    It's a kind of umbrella term to refer to the unknown builders of old earthworks like raths, mounds and fairy forts etc.
    Some say that this type of reference to the Danes is a derivative of the Tuatha de Dannán.

• Advertisement

Who did Foxford in mayo get it's name ???

i..e Wexford Waterford etc[/QUO

Don't know where Foxford came from.

The Irish name is Béal Easa - mouth of the waterfall.

There may have been a ford in the vicinity, altho the Moy is a fairly big river at that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

I live in west mayo on the slopes of Croagh Patrick, there is a standing stones in a form of a circle. My family have called it the 'Dane's Yard' and the name has been passed down for generations. I don't know how the vikings ended up this area. Perhaps Croagh Patrick might have been a reason?

re Danes/vikings on Croagh Patrick

they may have heard of the gold.

I live in west mayo on the slopes of Croagh Patrick, there is a standing stones in a form of a circle. My family have called it the 'Dane's Yard' and the name has been passed down for generations. I don't know how the vikings ended up this area. Perhaps Croagh Patrick might have been a reason?

In all probability, the 'Dane' you mention, is a corruption of the tuatha dé Danann.
    There are many places in Ireland bearing the word 'Dane'; 'Danesfort', 'Danesrath' etc.
    The inclusion of Dane, does not mean that the area was once inhabited by Vikings.
    It has generally been used to describe places of unknown antiquity - probably because of visible earthworks, which may or may not survive.
    Most of these earthworks predate the Vikings by one and a half thousand years, or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

In all probability, the 'Dane' you mention, is a corruption of the tuatha dé Danann.
    There are many places in Ireland bearing the word 'Dane'; 'Danesfort', 'Danesrath' etc.
    The inclusion of Dane, does not mean that the area was once inhabited by Vikings.
    It has generally been used to describe places of unknown antiquity - probably because of visible earthworks, which may or may not survive.
    Most of these earthworks predate the Vikings by one and a half thousand years, or more.

That would make more sense. Thanks for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

There's a signpost for Valhalla on the road to Dromore West from Ballisadare in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cormacocomhrai

Danesfort, Danesrath - anything like that tends to be something of a misnomer.
    Just so in mining terminology - ''Danes' works" refer to any signs of earthworks from the mists of antiquity.
    It's a kind of umbrella term to refer to the unknown builders of old earthworks like raths, mounds and fairy forts etc.
    Some say that this type of reference to the Danes is a derivative of the Tuatha de Dannán.

There's a Danesfield in Moycullen that was mistranslated by a landlord with a confidence in his proficiency in Irish that exceeded his ability. The name of the place was Gort Uí Lochlainn-O'Loughlin's field. The name O'Loughlin being derived from the Irish word for a viking.

I've read that the Blasket is a viking word and refers to dangerous seas. I can't vouch for that

The vikings might well have got boats into the Corrib. They would have been interested in the access up as far as Cong, and by porterage into Mask.

afaik no traces found

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

AFAIK, the Vikings who invaded and settled in Ireland were mostly Norwegians, while the Danes targeted mainland Europe and Britain. Hence the Danelaw and Danegeld in Britain. If that were true, then it's doubly unlikely that "Dane" in Irish placenames actually refers to Danish occupation.

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    AFAIK, the Vikings who invaded and settled in Ireland were mostly Norwegians, while the Danes targeted mainland Europe and Britain. Hence the Danelaw and Danegeld in Britain. If that were true, then it's doubly unlikely that "Dane" in Irish placenames actually refers to Danish occupation.

In Irish we talk of two types of Vikings

Fionnghaill (Fionn == Blond, Gall = Foreginer -- Gaill = foreigners)
    Dubhghaill (Dubh == Black)

In this contact the Fionnghaill were Norwegian Vikings, the Dubhghaill in comparison were Danish. The original viking settlement was mostly norwegian however it was taken over by Danish Vikings from 9th century onwards. these were heavily connected into Britain. So for example the Kings of Dublin were also often Kings of York as well.

Fingal in North Dublin is "Fine Gall" in Irish, literally the "Kindred/family of Foreigners". This is exact opposite meaning of "Fine Gael" the name of the political party, though some would claim they should rename themselves "Fine Gall" ;)

In context of Viking Ireland the word Gall was specifically used for Vikings, interesting enough it's origin in Irish language was to do with been from Gaul (Gallia)

Advertisement