Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the motorcycle theory and practical test be done on a moped?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for the motorcycle theory & practical test without a learner permit for the A categories? I have a full license for class B and M and drive a 49cc moped, hoping to use it for the A tests and upgrade to a bigger bike.
    Or would I have to go through the whole process of buying a class A/A1 bike, apply for the learner permit and drive for a certain length of time before they let me apply for the tests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

You need the appropriate permit to apply for the test A or A1.

You'll also need to do the IBT (and possibly the theory test).

Once you get your permit you need to wait for 6 months before you can sit your test, you don't don't have to have a bike during this period, just have to wait.

For the test itself, you will need a bike (bigger than the 49cc moped), if you get a bigger scooter your license will be restricted to automatic/mopeds only.

Best to do it on a geared bike, you can even hire them them from an instructor just for the test.

Once you pass the actual test the 2 year wait begins for your restriction after which you can ride any bike you want (subject to getting insurance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sulley001

Wow, it's come a long way in the last few years.. I remember when it was just the test!
    Thanks for the info!

Advertisement