Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microbiology Future...

Options
  • 09-10-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hey guys
    I'm in my 3rd year of Microbiology in UCC.
    Has anyone gotten a degree in this area of any kind!
    And what are you doing now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Dave1711 wrote: »
    Hey guys
    I'm in my 3rd year of Microbiology in UCC.
    Has anyone gotten a degree in this area of any kind!
    And what are you doing now?
    I haven't a degree specifically in microbiology but my degree was in bioanalysis which included a microbiology stream. After my degree I did a PhD on gut flora in neonates then went into more research as a post doc. Still working on bacteria now but in the area of biofilms and cystic fibrosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Hi OP, I'm currently in my 4th year of a Microbiology degree. I'm hoping to work in a bio-pharmaceuticals company where I had some work experience.

I have a degree in micro and am now a biochemist in a medical device company

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

Im doing a degree in Pharmautical Biotechnology and the thing for the future seems to be ( apart from stem cells ) the genetic engeneering of "normal cells" into cancerous cells with attached anti bodies. anyone have any experience of this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

As in creating hybridomas to secrete antibodies? It's a great technique, knocking around since the seventies. Revolutionised applied immunology <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

I have a degree in Microbiology. I worked as a quality analyst in a bio-pharm company for 2/3 years after I graduated. I just finished a masters in a completely different area but have found myself back applying for quality roles. It's one of the few sectors hiring at the moment. Certainly jobs are more scarce than when I graduated, but with a bit of persistence and if you want to find work in industry, you will find employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

Tree wrote: »
    As in creating hybridomas to secrete antibodies? It's a great technique, knocking around since the seventies. Revolutionised applied immunology <3

thats the one! :D

My cellular biotech lecturer recons its the next best thing to stem cells (in terms of possible aplications)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Merry_Hell

degree in microbiology from Trinity, followed by a HDip in applied microbiology from NUIG few years ago. Went into quality control. Getting a company to take a chance on you with no experience is the hard part but it can be done by perservence, learning the buzz words and not coming accross as an oddball in interview. Once you've been working for 6 months you're hot property. Lads found it so easy to bounce from job to job, increase salary etc.... I went into an unrelated career in 2008 so can't really say how the recession affected it but judging from other posts it hasn't gotten too bad... Good luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ClimberC wrote: »
    thats the one! :D

My cellular biotech lecturer recons its the next best thing to stem cells (in terms of possible aplications)
    The real future there is getting antibody expression in a bacterial host. It's doable, but it's not the same (for certain applications that need post-translational modifications etc.)

<3 Antibodies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I obtained an honours degree in this area but am now wrapping-up my PhD in breast cancer at the Uni of Leicester in the UK! So, your degree doesn't necesarily have to determine what you subsequently go into. However, I should add that I did a degree in computer science beforehand too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Clooney George

Im doing a stage in Pharmautical Medical and the thing for the long run seems to be ( apart from originate tissue ) the inherited engeneering of "normal cells" into dangerous tissue with linked stop systems. anyone have any practical experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Thanks for the replies guys!

Where would be a good place to look for some work experience.

I've contact a few places,but i'm not too sure what companies even employ
    microbiologist at this stage :-/

Thanks again.

All medical device companies, all food companies, most pharmaceutical companies (depending on what they're manufacturing), hospitals. I'm not sure how easy it is to get work experience as an undergrad these days though. Might be a good idea to talk to your lecturers and see if they have any contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Dave1711 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Where would be a good place to look for some work experience.

I've contact a few places,but i'm not too sure what companies even employ
    microbiologist at this stage :-/

Thanks again.

Why not contact some labs in universities and see if they'll give you some experience paid or unpaid. Most labs would be happy to take you on for a short period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Start your own lab at home and mess about with experiments?

Just make sure you treat everything with care. And if you want to deal in plasmid transforming bugs, you'll need a license from the EPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Yeah i recently sent out some emails alright!
    Just waiting for reply's!

Just wondering are there any major companies in the Microbiology sector i might be overlooking

A fair few sterile manufacturing plants would hire microbiologists for QC. Good experience from the point of view of experience with quality procedures, can be mighty dull though :-/

Depends what sector you want to get into or do you have any preference?
    What about location? Do you have a preference?

There are hundreds of companies employing microbiologists, the most well known would be Pfizer/Wyeth, Johnson& Johnson (look for their subsideries such as Vistakon), Stryker, Merck Sharpe & Dohme, but as I said the list is huge.

You've also got all the food manufacturing companies such as Pepsi, Kerry Foods, Glanbia, Dawn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Woodyard962

Permanent job for scientific microbiologist Great news for microbiologist. A permanent microbiology post in a HSE scientific laboratory in the analysis of food and water has been advertised. Full details at: http://hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Allied_Health_and_Social_Care/NRS0585.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement