Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paulaner Oktoberfest beer spotted in Tesco

Options
  • 09-10-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Was in Tesco Dun Laoghaire (Bloomfields) on Saturday morning and picked up 5 Paulaner Oktoberfest beer for 10 euro. Thought it was a great deal for this beer. It was mixed into their Paulaner Weissbeer promo (5 for 10 euro)
    So not sure if they made a mistake or its the genuine offer.
    Just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone here is interested.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,066 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I got it yesterday in Naas, great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jsoc wrote: »
    Was in Tesco Dun Laoghaire (Bloomfields) on Saturday morning and picked up 5 Paulaner Oktoberfest beer for 10 euro. Thought it was a great deal for this beer.
    Good price
    But... Crap beer.

I did a tasting 9 weeks ago back to back of this years vintage of the five commercial octoberfest beers (asiðe from augustiner which wasnt available at the time and is in a different league anyhow) and it was joint worst by a margin along with hofbrau, in my opinion.

Lowenbrau strangely enough was the most drinkable, and so good that I stocked up until the augustiner came online.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jsoc

Good price
    But... Crap beer.

I did a tasting 9 weeks ago back to back of this years vintage of the five commercial octoberfest beers (asiðe from augustiner which wasnt available at the time and is in a different league anyhow) and it was joint worst by a margin along with hofbrau, in my opinion.

Lowenbrau strangely enough was the most drinkable, and so good that I stocked up until the augustiner came online.

funny that because I'm no fan of Lowenbrau but prefer Paulaner over it...have not tasted Augustiner ...where do you find that online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Just back from Oktoberfest in Munich. Was in the Augustiner beer tent. Great fun altogether. Would like to be able to get their Edelstoff beer here.

Picked up the Paulaner Oktoberfest in Tesco and like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

3 Tesco's near me only have Paulaner on 5 for €10. They do not have Oktoberfest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RonMexico wrote: »
    Would like to be able to get their Edelstoff beer here.
    Any decent beer off licence would have it. If there's none near you, DrinkStore delivers nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

RonMexico wrote: »
    Just back from Oktoberfest in Munich. Was in the Augustiner beer tent. Great fun altogether. Would like to be able to get their Edelstoff beer here.

Picked up the Paulaner Oktoberfest in Tesco and like it.

Absolutely love Edelstoff and would love if it was sold here. Fransikaner is the best Wheat beer in my opinion. I lived in Germany and the worst was considered to be Lowenbrau, there was a standing German joke that the only people who drank it were homeless and when they did they woke up on park benches with sore bums!!

daltonmd

daltonmd wrote: »
    Absolutely love Edelstoff and would love if it was sold here.
    See above.
    Fransikaner is the best Wheat beer in my opinion. I lived in Germany and the worst was considered to be Lowenbrau
    Both made by the same company, at the same brewery AFAIK :rolleyes:

BeerNut wrote: »
    See above.

Both made by the same company, at the same brewery AFAIK :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, our posts overlapped :) I think you're confusing Spaten and Paulaner, who merged some years ago.

I think you're confusing Spaten and Paulaner, who merged some years ago.
    I'm not and they didn't.

Spaten-Franziskaner Löwenbräu Group formed in 1997 and was bought by Interbrew in 2003. Subsequent mergers mean that Interbrew is now A-B InBev, but they still own those three Munich brands and I think they've consolidated their Munich operations into one brewplant in recent years.

Paulaner is 49.9% controlled by Heineken and is usually distributed and marketed by Heineken abroad, including in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I'm not and they didn't.

Spaten-Franziskaner Löwenbräu Group formed in 1997 and was bought by Interbrew in 2003. Subsequent mergers mean that Interbrew is now A-B InBev, but they still own those three Munich brands and I think they've consolidated their Munich operations into one brewplant in recent years.

Paulaner is 49.9% controlled by Heineken and is usually distributed and marketed by Heineken abroad, including in Ireland.

I thought it was just the two! Anyway, nothing much changed with the breweries.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=-w75LWVCvOkC&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=the+big+6+munich&source=bl&ots=Ur2ailZAuM&sig=gsnGsSDZDLVmlFC8b2YUnAwU6Ko&hl=en&ei=zSaTToKwPMSzhAfi0rX2Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

nothing much changed with the breweries.
    That book is a few years out of date. It looks like both Löwenbräu and Spaten-Franziskaner have since ceased production at the addresses listed, but I can't find any reference to where they brew now.

That book is a few years out of date. It looks like both Löwenbräu and Spaten-Franziskaner have since ceased production at the addresses listed, but I can't find any reference to where they brew now.

Wow, how things have changed, I used to live beside the Lowenbrau brewery. I would have imagined that take overs of any brewery, like Guinness by Diageo, would leave the brewing aspect alone. Anyway my initial point was that Lowenbrau had quite a bad reputation by Germans, still considering the quality of the other beers I could see why.

daltonm

take overs of any brewery, like Guinness by Diageo, would leave the brewing aspect alone.
    Diageo did not take over Guinness. Guinness grew into Diageo. And it was all set to abandon James's Gate, Francis's Abbey and Great Northern just before the property crash decimated the resale value of the sites.

What normally happens is the old site becomes a brand museum, which is what A-B InBev have done with the former Spaten-Franziskaner Löwenbräu site. Just like the "Old Jameson Distillery" in Dublin or the "Heineken Experience" in Amsterdam. Diageo would probably have left the Guinness Storehouse and a token brewery running after they'd moved most brewing operations to Leixlip.
    Anyway my initial point was that Lowenbrau had quite a bad reputation by Germans, still considering the quality of the other beers I could see why.
    I only really know the Oktoberfestbier, and I thought it was one of the best of the six. I think people get hung up on brands and brand-value very easily without paying much attention to the actual beer.

Diageo did not take over Guinness. Guinness grew into Diageo. And it was all set to abandon James's Gate, Francis's Abbey and Great Northern just before the property crash decimated the resale value of the sites.

What normally happens is the old site becomes a brand museum, which is what A-B InBev have done with the former Spaten-Franziskaner Löwenbräu site. Just like the "Old Jameson Distillery" in Dublin or the "Heineken Experience" in Amsterdam. Diageo would probably have left the Guinness Storehouse and a token brewery running after they'd moved most brewing operations to Leixlip.

I only really know the Oktoberfestbier, and I thought it was one of the best of the six. I think people get hung up on brands and brand-value very easily without paying much attention to the actual beer.

The Lowenbrau Oktoberfestbier? I actually don't know it. In fairness in this country for a long time we had a very limited choice of beer. I love the choice now in Lidl for example.
    I don't disagree regarding the brand names, in my view this is down to clever marketing, I mean how many people in Russia actually even know Smirnoff, let alone drink it.
    Erdinger is another prime example, it's probably the best known but weakest of the wheat beer in Germany at least.
    I call these "famous brands" the McDonalds of foreign beer, in essence we get the best known or the best marketed.

In regards to the breweries, regardless of whether or not DIageo took over/grew into Guiness's, the brewing techniques didn't change, Guinness is still Guinness, well unless they do a Coke and completely change it lol..

daltonmd

The Lowenbrau Oktoberfestbier?
    Yup, that one. Oh, and I've had Triumphator the Löwenbräu doppelbock, which isn't bad at all.
    I mean how many people in Russia actually even know Smirnoff, let alone drink it.
    Quite a few: it's a popular brand, though it's spelled Smirnov (Смирнов).
    the brewing techniques didn't change, Guinness is still Guinness
    :eek: I have to wonder where you're getting this from. Link?

Guinness has changed massively over the years. As recently as 2000 the bottled version started being pasteurised instead of bottle-conditioned. The standard of the keg version, I'm told, has become a lot more consistent since the 1980s, doubtless due to more efficient high-tech brewing techniques. Keg Guinness didn't exist at all before 1959, and prior to 1917 your pint would have been somewhere in the region of 7.5% ABV.

If anyone from Diageo tells you Guinness is hasn't changed over the years (and they do actually make this claim on their website) stand well back as their pants are about to burst into flames.

Yup, that one. Oh, and I've had Triumphator the Löwenbräu doppelbock, which isn't bad at all.

Quite a few: it's a popular brand, though it's spelled Smirnov (Смирнов).

:eek: I have to wonder where you're getting this from. Link?

Guinness has changed massively over the years. As recently as 2000 the bottled version started being pasteurised instead of bottle-conditioned. The standard of the keg version, I'm told, has become a lot more consistent since the 1980s, doubtless due to more efficient high-tech brewing techniques. Keg Guinness didn't exist at all before 1959, and prior to 1917 your pint would have been somewhere in the region of 7.5% ABV.

If anyone from Diageo tells you Guinness is hasn't changed over the years (and they do actually make this claim on their website) stand well back as their pants are about to burst into flames.

lol, ok let me try this again, because one brewery takes over another it does not mean that the product changes. In the case of Fransikaner joining the same brewery as Lowenbrau this doesn't mean that all of a sudden Lowenbrau is a superior beer. It is what it is.

Nobody in Diageo will tell you that Guinness is not Guinness. Any advances are the breweries.

As for it not being in Kegs prior to 1959, well it was. But it was in 2 different kegs which had to be mixed.

A guy called Ash (I believe) discovered that if you added carbon dioxide and nitrogen within the beer that this solved the problem with the head. The next step was to designed a keg that could carry his new technique. Which he did.
    Which is what we have today.

daltonmd

As for it not being in Kegs prior to 1959, well it was. But it was in 2 different kegs which had to be mixed.
    They were casks, not kegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'm not and they didn't.

Spaten etc is still where it has always been, but it's moving soon as the sale of the company didnt actually include the brewery site!! Already some of the site has been redeveloped. They even do tours of the site if you want to get a look before it closes.

Paulaner/ hacker pschorr are set to make a decision on moving out of the city in a month or two but nothing decided on that front yet.

Re lowenbrau
    The Oktoberfest is much much better than the standard helles lager they brew. Surprisingly good. But then again. The lowenbrau urtyp in the plop top bottle is a great beer so they can brew nice stuff when they want to.

Re beer sources....
    When I tested the five octoberfest varieties it was easy to get supplies. I live in Munich and have a large off licence at the front of my building!!

Spaten etc is still where it has always been, but it's moving soon as the sale of the company didnt actually include the brewery site!! Already some of the site has been redeveloped. They even do tours of the site if you want to get a look before it closes.

Paulaner/ hacker pschorr are set to make a decision on moving out of the city in a month or two but nothing decided on that front yet.

Re lowenbrau
    The Oktoberfest is much much better than the standard helles lager they brew. Surprisingly good. But then again. The lowenbrau urtyp in the plop top bottle is a great beer so they can brew nice stuff when they want to.

Re beer sources....
    When I tested the five octoberfest varieties it was easy to get supplies. I live in Munich and have a large off licence at the front of my building!!

Must look out for the plop top (love that name lol). @ Beernut, thanks for the link, am eagerly awaiting a shipment of Augustiner!!

daltonmd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

paulaner oktoberfest is available on draught again

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Where? May I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

Erdinger is another prime example, it's probably the best known but weakest of the wheat beer in Germany at least.
    dont know if id agree with that, i was in cologne/dusseldorf last year and found erdinger pretty much everywhere, one of the few that traversed the divide between the two

redalan wrote: »
    Where? May I ask?
    Bull & Castle has it, but I think lots of other places do too. Look for big Paulaner branding outside the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

redalan wrote: »
    Where? May I ask?
    Bull & Castle has it, but I think lots of other places do too. Look for big Paulaner branding outside the pub.

Check out Paulaner on Facebook. They put up a list yesterday of places all over Ireland with it. Strangely though not a very long list considering the amount of Paulaner draught that is out there.

Don't be confident about the Branding outside either. I know 3 places off the top of my head whom still use the Wooden board, glasses and trays and do not stock the product.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Don't be confident about the Branding outside either. I know 3 places off the top of my head whom still use the Wooden board, glasses and trays and do not stock the product.
    I meant the seasonal Oktoberfest branding in particular. I'm aware Heineken have been giving out Paulaner boards, awanings, trays etc like sweeties.

Advertisement