Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Christmas Music Video

Options
  • 09-10-2011 4:18pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Concept: So its clear to see we LOVE Christmas here on boards.ie so why don't we butcher a Christmas classic, a song picked from the masses, gets divided into 2lines sections and people pick to sing a 2line section of the song. Each person records themselves, using either a webcam or mobile phone to do so, send the clip to me and I'll ( or maybe a more talented boards member!! ) who will then edit all the clips into our very own Boards.ie Christmas Video!! :D

The Song: Obviously a good Christmas Tune, perfer the more karaoke-ish the better, was thinking along the lines of Band Aid - Do they know its Christmas, all I want for Christmas or Fairytale of New York. The choice is open and perhaps best decided by a vote. So nominate a tune.

The Rules: So!, Clips to be sent in any of these formats wmv, avi, mpeg4, m4v, mov, 3gp, flv

TWO things! - You need to study the speed of the singing in the video and mimic it somewhere near, otherwise its a editing nightmare! AND - The singing needs to be sung clearly without a booming backing track, you can easily sing along without the track bellowing out, as long as its on low it wont be picked up on the video and will sound pretty much ok.

Bonus points for dancing, xmas costumes and xmas related acting ;)

So there we have it, that's my proposal, what do ye all think? Any feedback good or bad would be very much appreciated!! :)

And remember its only the ultimate piece of fun, no need to worry about your singing skills or lack of them, this isn't the x-factor! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

lockie1983 wrote: »
    The Concept: So its clear to see we LOVE Christmas here on boards.ie so why don't we butcher a Christmas classic, a song picked from the masses, gets divided into 2lines sections and people pick to sing a 2line section of the song. Each person records themselves, using either a webcam or mobile phone to do so, send the clip to me and I'll ( or maybe a more talented boards member!! ) who will then edit all the clips into our very own Boards.ie Christmas Video!! :D

The Song: Obviously a good Christmas Tune, perfer the more karaoke-ish the better, was thinking along the lines of Band Aid - Do they know its Christmas, all I want for Christmas or Fairytale of New York. The choice is open and perhaps best decided by a vote. So nominate a tune.

The Rules: So!, Clips to be sent in any of these formats wmv, avi, mpeg4, m4v, mov, 3gp, flv

TWO things! - You need to study the speed of the singing in the video and mimic it somewhere near, otherwise its a editing nightmare! AND - The singing needs to be sung clearly without a booming backing track, you can easily sing along without the track bellowing out, as long as its on low it wont be picked up on the video and will sound pretty much ok.

Bonus points for dancing, xmas costumes and xmas related acting ;)

So there we have it, that's my proposal, what do ye all think? Any feedback good or bad would be very much appreciated!! :)

And remember its only the ultimate piece of fun, no need to worry about your singing skills or lack of them, this isn't the x-factor! ;)

Actually think this is going to be epic!! Cannot wait to see the finished product! Fairytale of ny I think would be hilarious!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

C'mon guys don't be shy!! This forum is full of Christmas Die-Hards, it'll be a bit of fun and something to fondly look back at every run up to Christmas here on boards!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

This could be great! I'm up for it anyway. How about a poll to decide a song and let's get to it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What should be the short-list for songs?

I'm thinking Fairytale of New York,
    Do They Know its Christmas?
    All I Want for Christmas

Should we add in more or just let people select other and name another song?

Why not get in touch with one of the Christmas mods and I'm sure they'll give us some advice? :)

• Advertisement

I will do! Hopefully they'll post their opinions here too ;)

Hehehe, hint hint :P

Do they know it's Christmas could be corny to the max but we could re-write it a bit >_> in a boards fashion. <_<

mud wrote: »
    Do they know it's Christmas could be corny to the max but we could re-write it a bit >_> in a boards fashion. <_<

I LOVE that idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Christmas Time by the Darkness, would love to see people hit those high notes ;) . Not yet a classic but could be a good choice ...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Best of luck with this, sounds like a cool idea.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I asked the Community Manager about this and I was told
    "Copyright would be the biggest concern - it'd have to be a song that was royalties free/public domain/whatever the correct terminology is. The suggestions we're seeing on that thread are all no-go in that respect (unless someone was willing to get permission for it, but that's a very complicated and potentially costly process)."
    But apart from that, there's no issues with one being made.

Ah I didn't factor in royalities in, seeing how there are millions of cover songs on youtube I didn't think we had to. Like I don't think any of them pay royalities everytime they upload a song on youtube.

But I know this is a public forum and I don't want to bring any complications to it so I understand and accept the ruling.

The only possible way we could do a video now is if we pen our own Christmas song which maybe a tag difficult, haha.

Another alternative is if people are up for it we can do a Christmas message montage featuring all ye lovely people on boards! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

star-pants wrote: »
    I asked the Community Manager about this and I was told
    "Copyright would be the biggest concern - it'd have to be a song that was royalties free/public domain/whatever the correct terminology is. The suggestions we're seeing on that thread are all no-go in that respect (unless someone was willing to get permission for it, but that's a very complicated and potentially costly process)."
    But apart from that, there's no issues with one being made.
    lockie1983 wrote: »
    Ah I didn't factor in royalities in, seeing how there are millions of cover songs on youtube I didn't think we had to. Like I don't think any of them pay royalities everytime they upload a song on youtube.

But I know this is a public forum and I don't want to bring any complications to it so I understand and accept the ruling.

The only possible way we could do a video now is if we pen our own Christmas song which maybe a tag difficult, haha.

Another alternative is if people are up for it we can do a Christmas message montage featuring all ye lovely people on boards! :D

Lads, is there an old Trad Christmas tune you could use and make up your own words? Copyright shouldn't be an issue then...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Aren't Christmas carols royalty free?

Aren't Christmas carols royalty free?

OMG!! You're right they are! So are people still up for this?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

12 days of Christmas would be good, but presumably there will be more than 12.

That is a great idea, we could use a different person for each different countdown, so you would have more than just 12, you'd have 1+2+3+4+5, etc... obviously we def won't have that many takers but people can double up and we can rotate and use people for several different parts throughout the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

Good idea if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm totally up for this BTW. :D

Should we create a sign in sheet for anyone that would like to be added?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

the Frank Kelly version :D

Hahaha, very good!!

Advertisement