Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting a student

Options
  • 09-10-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Thinking about hosting foreign students who are spending the year in secondary school in Ireland. Does anyone know how much the host family gets per week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭hoodini89

You usually get around €150 a week. We only have students who stay around 2-3 weeks so you could receive €100 a week long term. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Just wondering why these students are paying €10000 per school year if the host families are only getting €100 per week.
    Is the school getting paid and how much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

brownswiss wrote: »
    Just wondering why these students are paying €10000 per school year if the host families are only getting €100 per week.
    Is the school getting paid and how much ?
    How much do you expect the host families to receive?

These students can either stay in college accomodation/rent for the same price so why pay more?

College tuition is a different issue - they are not entitled to EU/Irish fees as their tution fees is not subsidised by the Government.

MIN2511 wrote: »

These students can either stay in college accomodation/rent for the same price so why pay more?

College tuition is a different issue - they are not entitled to EU/Irish fees as their tution fees is not subsidised by the Government.

I am talking about EU foreign students. Are they actually paying in secondary schools? I was told the schools are not getting paid

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

If they are EU students then no the schools don't get paid. This is due to the EU union which set up exchange opportunities, Erasmus years etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

What about if the Irish school happens to be a fee-paying one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Well we had an EU Webmaster in our school to give us a talk last week and this is a summary of what he said about the exchanges:
    - Roughly 140 schools/colleges across Europe are involved in the Erasmus/ exchange
    - You can apply for a grant to have all your fees covered (basically free school fee) Although you do have to pay some costs yourself too.

It may seem fair that a foreign student is attending a private school for free for the year but it's not, any other student in that school could apply for a years exchange in a different country too if they wanted to eg go to Germany for the year. But if the exchange wasn't organised with the EU then I don't know what the case may be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Would anybody have some contact info for places looking for host families in bray??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

While I know lots of people who have had very good experiences with foreign students I know a few who have had very bad ones (stuff going 'missing' from the house etc.) so be careful with who ends up in your home.

The Host Family is getting about €14 per student per day for providing breakfast , dinner, tea , supper and shower. Laundry service is also provided...

Can you please tell where they can get this for the same money ?

The student is paying a company €10,000 ., What is the company providing for such a high fee? They are not passing back much to the Host families.

• Advertisement

The Host Family is getting about €14 per student per day for providing breakfast , dinner, tea , supper and shower. Laundry service is also provided...

Can you please tell where they can get this for the same money ?

The student is paying a company €10,000 ., What is the company providing for such a high fee? They are not passing back much to the Host families.
    Majority of the students who pay over €10000 for education are International students.
    10 years ago; host families charged £125 (Irish punts) per week, it's currently €150 per week.

This is 'tax free' too as I've never heard of anyone who has paid taxes on this extra income.

College accomodation works out at €100-€125 per month excluding bills... Do the math...

Majority of the students who pay over €10000 for education are International students.
    10 years ago; host families charged £125 (Irish punts) per week, it's currently €150 per week.

This is 'tax free' too as I've never heard of anyone who has paid taxes on this extra income.

College accomodation works out at €100-€125 per month excluding bills... Do the math...

Do what Math...?

European students are paying €10,000 to a company who in turn are only giving €14 per day to the host family.....

Do what Math...?

European students are paying €10,000 to a company who in turn are only giving €14 per day to the host family.....
    €100 -€125 per week not month - mistake on my part.

It's simple brownswiss, it's not compulsory to host a student. If anyone feels short changed then they should stop hosting students.

Depending on the institution and the circumstance, education isn't free for all...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

€100 -€125 per week not month - mistake on my part.

It's simple brownswiss, it's not compulsory to host a student. If anyone feels short changed then they should stop hosting students.

Depending on the institution and the circumstance, education isn't free for all...

MIN2511, I think you seem to be missing the point... It appears to me that BrownSwiss isn't saying anything about feeling short changed, rather they seem to be asking where the rest of the €10,000 goes...

Advertisement