Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading RAM

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've seen Crucial mentioned on here numerous times as what Apple itself supplies seems very pricey. I've Crucial RAM in my two Macs, have no issues. Might cost you a bit more than €50, I had to pay customs or something first time I used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I got a RAM upgrade from crucial a few months back for a Mac Mini and it arrived really quick and worked perfectly. Can't say whether the quality of the RAM from Apple is any better than Crucial.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I've been using Crucial for years and have never had a problem. make sure you click on the EU part of the site, rather than the USA. Delivery in a couple of days, and very reasonable prices. I did the same upgrade myself 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

upgraded my 27" iMac a few months back with a Crucial 8gig upgrade and had no problems with it - better deal then Apple!

JD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Crucial has never given me any problems either (both 2x2 and 2x4 from them)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I also used Crucial several times over the years and have never had any issues. Mostly used them for various windows machines for work but recently enough bought a 27" iMac from apple with the minimum 4GB (2 x 2) and I added 8GB (2 x 4) which was the obvious upgrade for me as it was something less than €50 I remember.
    As others have said, go to www.crucial.com/eu and there will be no issue with customs - you pay what you see (once you select your delivery location and the VAT portion is updated). Free delivery too I think and you can use paypal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I used memoryc.ie to upgrade my mini and have had good results if you are still unsure

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I just ordered 8GB for my Macbook Pro from crucial. €52 including UPS Express delivery. Great price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I bought a RAM upgrade for my iMac sometime ago and installed it myself without any issues. iMAc still going strong. Im not technically able yet it was straightforward to do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Will I see any performance difference at all between the two?

They have the same specs so performance should be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

GarIT wrote: »
    They have the same specs so performance should be the same.

Well why is there such a big price difference then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Well why is there such a big price difference then?

Why is my €699 laptop more powerful than my friends €1499 Macbook? It's just overpriced. Crucial are one of the best RAM manafacturers, possibly not as reliable as Apple but id say still less than 1 in a thousand have faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Apple markup ram ( hdd etc) a lot, it is ridiculous really. I would never buy their ram or any extras from them.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I got my RAM this morning after ordering yesterday morning. Great service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I bought Kingston RAM from elara.ie for my 2010 iMac, it's been humming along since. It was about 1/3 the official Apple price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Received ram today from crucial.com after ordering last Thurs.

I went from 2GB to 4GB (the max it can take) and WOW!! It's like having a brand new machine, can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭eamo12

Received ram today from crucial.com after ordering last Thurs.

I went from 2GB to 4GB (the max it can take) and WOW!! It's like having a brand new machine, can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

Wow, how interesting! So pleased for you - congratulations. Did you actually install it yourself? Please, tell us more - ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

is it worth my while upgrading my ram??

I have windows 7 64bit with 4gb ram and a core i3 processor... can be upgraded to 8gb but is it worth my while??

Sometimes I a have alot open at once...autocad...adobe pdf...microsoft word,microsoft excel, firefox,crome... etc etc...

I dont do video editing or the likes...

Is it worth it?

cant get on crucials website at the moment down for maintenance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

sorry i just realised this is a mac forum... ill take that querie elsewhere but feel free to answer too!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Woofstuff wrote: »
    sorry i just realised this is a mac forum... ill take that querie elsewhere but feel free to answer too!

For waht it would cost, I'd say yes....Then sell it, and buy a Mac!!!:D

• Advertisement

OK so I just got the RAM off crucial.

Im in Belfast on thursday, and If i bring up my MAcBook Pro and the ram, will they install it without appointment in the Apple store in Victoria square, and for what cost (if any)?

I could do it by myself, and i know its a pretty easy thing to do, but since im there in a few days id rather not risk losing my baby :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There's really nothing much you can mess up. You wouldn't call an electrician to change a lightbulb!

Yes I know but SINCE I am in Belfast I thought that I would do it anyway

does anyone know if the Apple store in Victoria Square will do this for me???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Just got 4gb Kingston RAM for my 2008 MacBook Pro for €50 from Peates in Parnell Street. Was very sluggish after Lion update but flying along now. The screws are really fiddley so make sure you have the right screwdrivers. Was a bit tricky, but very doable if you take your time and follow instructions to the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Official Mac RAM = Wedding Flowers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff13zZ0h0k

If they had their way they wouldn't let you add third party RAM - if this article on replacing imac hard drive is anything to go by:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/14/imac_hard_drive_replacement_woes/

Official Mac RAM = Wedding Flowers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff13zZ0h0k

If they had their way they wouldn't let you add third party RAM - if this article on replacing imac hard drive is anything to go by:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/14/imac_hard_drive_replacement_woes/

And yet the mini has a door to allow you to change the RAM....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 USERNAM3

Upgraded my RAM there a few weeks ago with kingston 2 X 4gb 1333mhz sticks

Very easy install + currently selling my 2 X 4gb sticks : http://www.adverts.ie/1032504

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

USERNAM3 wrote: »
    Upgraded my RAM there a few weeks ago with kingston 2 X 4gb 1333mhz sticks

I thought The max was 1067mhz

• Registered Users Posts: 34 USERNAM3

I thought The max was 1067mhz

not on the 2011 models which is what I have

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I just ordered 8GB of ram for my Macbook Pro (late 2011 15" edition).

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=82EADB3CA5CA7304

Looking forward to installing it. Shame then I'll have to sell the 2x2gb there already.

Advertisement