Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

0% interest free question

Options
  • 09-10-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

This is probably a stupid question but I have always paid my credit card bills in full by DD every month. This is the first time I have ever not paid one.

Got a tesco credit card recently and it is maxed out after a trip to Australia. It is set to pay by direct debit but only the minimum payment (default).

I got my bill recently and the minimum payment came out and no interest was applied.
    The tesco site says 8 months interest free.

Does this mean I can pay a few hundred off over the next few months with billpay or whatever and eventually clear it without any penalty?

Pretty sure that is what it means but since I have never had to pay off a credit card late before, I figured I should ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Saruman wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question but I have always paid my credit card bills in full by DD every month. This is the first time I have ever not paid one.

Got a tesco credit card recently and it is maxed out after a trip to Australia. It is set to pay by direct debit but only the minimum payment (default).

I got my bill recently and the minimum payment came out and no interest was applied.
    The tesco site says 8 months interest free.

Does this mean I can pay a few hundred off over the next few months with billpay or whatever and eventually clear it without any penalty?

Pretty sure that is what it means but since I have never had to pay off a credit card late before, I figured I should ask.

Yeah that is right. Just checked on their website and you should not pay any interest for first 8 months on any purchases so get it cleared within the 8 months to prevent any interest being charged. Bear in mind this 8 months is from when your account was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thought as much but thanks for the confirmation. I suppose it's a little like an interest free loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Saruman wrote: »
    Thought as much but thanks for the confirmation. I suppose it's a little like an interest free loan.

Its certainly a good deal. Dont use my card much so not worth moving but if i did i would certainly consider going over to them. Only thing i dont like about tesco cards is i hear they have no online service to view and pay on which is a bit behind the times and doesnt suit me at all.

Advertisement