Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman - Windows Product key

Options
  • 09-10-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi, not sure if this should be in here or the Consumer Issues thread but here it goes any way..

I bought 2 Samsung Laptops frm Harvy Norman less than 12 months ago for college, the both came with thoe usual deals Windows 7, security virus etc however, anytime i opened any of the Office applications it asked for the product key. I entered the product key provided but it said its invalid. After trying numerous times to enter the code i just decided not register and cancelled the setup and was able to use the program anyway.

Now I have just found out that you can only use Office 20 times without registering and now I can't use Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc to create or edit documents! I checked with the person who the had the 2nd laptop and they have the same issue and now i cant seem to find the receipt.

Has anyone else had this issue with HN? Surely it cant be coincidence that Windows 7 product keys dont work on either product? I dont have the receipt but i have the original box's with the HN price tags etc, If i take these back are they obliged to update the laptops even though i dont have a receipt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Trampas

separate license for office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Did you get a key for office?
    If not you will have to buy an office license or download openoffice or libreoffice which are both free....uninstall office before installing either .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Nothing to do with Harvey Norman really. Office isn't usually included as standard but Microsoft often include a trial version in Windows in the hope that users will buy a product key when their trial version expires.

You will need to either buy MS Office or you could download Open Office for free. That's what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The_Devil

Just checked the product key there and your right, it doesnt mention office at all, Its Windows Home Edition...Thanks for info all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Yea, i'd reccommend Openoffice too, Had same thing with a pc laptop from pc world.
    Its WP can save as docs or pdfs , i only found that out yesterday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The_Devil

Did you get a key for office?
    If not you will have to buy an office license or download openoffice or libreoffice which are both free....uninstall office before installing either .

Thanks for the reply, just one thing before I delete ms office... Will it remove all word exel docs along with it? And if not, are these files then compatible with open office?
    Thanks

Advertisement