Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do old records hold any value ?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

The reason I ask is i've about 40 House/Trance/techno 12" from around 1998-2001 when i use to mix.

Some classics in there. Some i can't find anymore on HTFR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Check the price they're going for online. Discogs.com is the handiest.

First, locate the release. Then, in the top right corner, there will be an option to buy from various sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

that site is cool never new about it.

I've to get all the correct names/release dates etc and i'll post them up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

Tends to depend on 2 factors, desirability (ie, how many people want it) and availability (ie, how many copies exist). For example, some commercial releases i have from 20+ years ago, i literally could not give away. Some others that were pressed in limited quantities and that are highly desired, sell on discogs for big bucks.

As the previous poster has said, discogs is the best place to find out whether you'll ever get any kind of return on your investment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Ah alot of mine are not that unique. I'll have to check everything. maybe have a gem in there lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

NeVeR wrote: »
    Ah alot of mine are not that unique. I'll have to check everything. maybe have a gem in there lol.

You should consider selling them on Adverts.ie as well. Write a list of what you have, and price each one of them as they're priced on Discogs.

You might be able to get a few local buyers, and you can deliver or arrange to have them collected. That will save you a few quid on postage.

Maybe overprice each one by €1, so if people try to bargain you down you'll have some room to manoeuvre.

If you eventually do it come back here and let us know.

Although I'll expect a €1 discount. :-)

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

ThirdMan wrote: »
    You should consider selling them on Adverts.ie as well. Write a list of what you have, and price each one of them as they're priced on Discogs.

You might be able to get a few local buyers, and you can deliver or arrange to have them collected. That will save you a few quid on postage.

Maybe overprice each one by €1, so if people try to bargain you down you'll have some room to manoeuvre.

If you eventually do it come back here and let us know.

Although I'll expect a €1 discount. :-)

Best of luck.

There's a few listings on adverts.ie selling vinyls in bulk (meself included), while its a good local site for selling, vinyl is really a niche market, it can take a while for potential buyers to stumble across your wares.

When you set up your advert post a link here in the forum under this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056319696

Discogs is a great site for getting rough guides on prices and all the detail you'll want/need for advertising what you have (include the discogs links in your ad)

However,like Third says, there are those that are rarer than hens teeth whih fetch a pretty penny (depending on condition as much as rarity) and those that go for peanuts, the real rule is 'It's worth whatever your willing to sell it for & whatever the potential buyer is willing to spend'.

There'll always be vinyl lovers ( I for 1 ) coz ya just cant beat the snap crackle & pop of a needle running the grooves! :cool:

Whatever you do, good luck and be sure to come back and showus what ya got! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

EarlERizer wrote: »
    'It's worth whatever your willing to sell it for & whatever the potential buyer is willing to spend'.

Almost. It's actual worth is only what somebody is willing to pay for it. What you value it at is completely irrelevant, realistically.

For example: I was checking some values on Discogs of some records I found in the shed. As expected, pretty much anything with a picture sleeve was only worth pennies. A few were worth a couple of quid. Then, one white label showed up with a price of £120 :eek:
    Ker-ching! says I.
    On closer inspection, there was only one copy of this record on Discogs. That being the case, the seller obviously reckons it's rare (it may be) and decided to price it high. There's a vid on youtube of the song in question and the bulk of the comments section reads like the Asylum thread on here but there's a lot of discussion about the copy on Discogs and universal agreement, among folk who love the tune, that they wouldn't pay anything like £120 for it. I'd guarantee that if I put my one up for £60, I still wouldn't get it. Unless the artist/producer died carrying out a suicide bombing in Berghain the night Obama, the Queen, Sarkozy and Putin were signing the Berlin treaty in the basement.

milltown wrote: »
    Almost. It's actual worth is only what somebody is willing to pay for it. What you value it at is completely irrelevant, realistically.

For example: I was checking some values on Discogs of some records I found in the shed. As expected, pretty much anything with a picture sleeve was only worth pennies. A few were worth a couple of quid. Then, one white label showed up with a price of £120 :eek:
    Ker-ching! says I.
    On closer inspection, there was only one copy of this record on Discogs. That being the case, the seller obviously reckons it's rare (it may be) and decided to price it high. There's a vid on youtube of the song in question and the bulk of the comments section reads like the Asylum thread on here but there's a lot of discussion about the copy on Discogs and universal agreement, among folk who love the tune, that they wouldn't pay anything like £120 for it. I'd guarantee that if I put my one up for £60, I still wouldn't get it. Unless the artist/producer died carrying out a suicide bombing in Berghain the night Obama, the Queen, Sarkozy and Putin were signing the Berlin treaty in the basement.

:confused: I'm in a confused state of agreement with you lol, I agree with all you've said,I've seen some crazy valuations on the cogs, but don't know where you got that I said "It's worth what the seller value's it at" ...... maybe I worded it wrong but what I was saying was If a seller is willing to let something go at a price someone is willing to pay then that equates to the items 'worth'.

For example: I have an item I value at €50, it doesn't sell, someone offers me €35 for it, I decide to take the €35,therefore the item was worth €35 i.e. the agreed amount between two parties not the initial valuation by the seller.

So,come on Milltown, whats this 'rare' gem thats selling for 120 on the cogs? There's another on there (I have a copy of it too) that was going for 100 blips,same again only one copy,however there's now two copies for sale and the price has come down considerably.......But it's an absolute shyte tune,unbelievably so,to the point I wondered if it was the cover that the value was put on (mine is in a generic sleeve - typical) , I've no idea if it's the tune or the cover that warrants the asking price in this case.

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=399277&ev=rb

*shameless plug*:D
    I'm selling my original (in generic sleeve) for less on adverts.ie
    http://www.adverts.ie/vinyl/rare-vinyl-e-a-s-energy-95-the-assembly/682690

:eek: It's fookin woeful lol

EarlERizer wrote: »
    So,come on Milltown, whats this 'rare' gem thats selling for 120 on the cogs? There's another on there (I have a copy of it too) that was going for 100 blips,same again only one copy,however there's now two copies for sale and the price has come down considerably.......But it's an absolute shyte tune...

Similar really.
    Not a great tune. Maybe it's just considered seminal by some, and it must be somewhat rare:

Similar really.
    Not a great tune. Maybe it's just considered seminal by some, and it must be somewhat rare:

Not one of the classic classics no,but one with the 'nostalgia' link for many, it's a hard to come by peice of vinyl,I think that and the lesser known flipside "U make me feel" (a secret amongst DJ/tune hoarders for years) gave rise to these silly inflated pricetags.

However,the 'rarer' or in need of an ID tunes are becoming more common knowledge these days.

Here is that flipside track (for purpose of the post lol)

sounds like its been pitched up a tad :(

reminds me of another over priced tune (albiet a very good one)
    http://www.discogs.com/Hearts-Of-Space-Hearts-Of-Space/release/16580

seems to have dropped a bit in recent times (again as more are listed)
    http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=128843&ev=rb

here it is ....... love this tune!

\:)/ \:D/ \;)/ \:cool:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Similar really.

yeah agree with this tune, not one of the all time greats, but defo has some nostalgic value attached to it.

es-cee wrote: »
    yeah agree with this tune, not one of the all time greats, but defo has some nostalgic value attached to it.

Sadly, not monetary value though. Given that it's been available on Discogs for months at that price.

OP: Best bet may be to split your records into 2/4 lots and stick them on Adverts.ie and price them conservatively. That way, if anyone wants 1 or 2 in particular, it won't (mightn't) be a deal breaker if they have to buy 9 records of similar vintage to get the one they want. The assumption being, of course, that they weren't collecting records back then (therefore don't have the sought after one) so won't mind acquiring a few lesser records as part of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Sadly, not monetary value though. Given that it's been available on Discogs for months at that price.

OP: Best bet may be to split your records into 2/4 lots and stick them on Adverts.ie and price them conservatively. That way, if anyone wants 1 or 2 in particular, it won't (mightn't) be a deal breaker if they have to buy 9 records of similar vintage to get the one they want. The assumption being, of course, that they weren't collecting records back then (therefore don't have the sought after one) so won't mind acquiring a few lesser records as part of the deal.

hahahaha, just after checkin the price its goin for, is this person for real?????

http://www.discogs.com/Gemini-IV-Jump/release/734088

Hadn't looked in a while. If it's the same seller, he's slashed the price. Unless NAMA bought it and are just selling it off.

Advertisement