Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on road bikes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

What kind of 'vintage bike' is it that you've got now? If it's a racer with an any way decent frame you could probably turn it into a fixie or single-speed pretty cheap. All you'd need is a new wheel with a fixed gear or flip-flop hub, a cog and lock ring, probably a new crankset and you're pretty much done.

Whatever you do however, get something with drop bars unless you want to go mountain biking. Drops are the only option for road riding of any description as far as I'm concerned (I even converted my folding bike to drops). Far more comfortable, more versatile, look nicer, allow a more natural riding position and they make it easier to go faster and keep up a decent pace with less effort.
    Fixies and singlespeeds are nice too, fun to ride and cheap and easy to maintain but not the best for any sort of long distance stuff.

Another thing to consider since you mentioned you currently cycle with a back-pack is investing in a rack and a set of panniers, a far superior way to carry stuff on a bike than on your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 banterer

no no, the bike I plan to sell is so annoying with 3 gears and I can't get any kind of power out of it... it's more of a relaxing roll to the beach bike :P

http://www.womensadventuremagazine.com/wa/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/specialized-globe-carmel2.jpg

so fixie's probably not the best option? ah ok I'll consider drop handles so, they take a bit of getting used to I bet :P are drop handles more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I didn't say don't get a fixie, just get one with drop handlebars. You said you were curious about them, I say they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

banterer wrote: »
    I got a voucher for 200 euro for a bike shop..... thing is it's got a very small small range :(
    I cycle to and from school with my schoolbag on my back on my dad's old banger (flat handlebars). I'm a girl but I have no problem with the crossbar :)
    I have a vintage-style bike but I hate it, it's in great condition and I'm gonna try sell it.... the shop doesn't do trade-ins though, so it's a bit more effort for me....
    I think I'm gonna have to use some of my own money as well to get a good bike.... prices only start at 300 in this place :eek:

so I'm just curious about drop handlebars and fixies and everything... any recommendations or advice? :confused: I like to work up a good pace, I'm no Lance Armstrong though! And my balance wouldn't be incredible :P

I know they're probably definitely too expensive but I love pretty bikes like this.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5sNxL95AtW4/Ti79yj2p1oI/AAAAAAAABhw/hpcSxgeS-Kk/s1600/2347659679_b2761877a5.jpg

http://www.roadwarriorbicycles.com/uploads/5/8/0/8/5808109/9021147_orig.jpg?514

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/d7c99402d6961ac739dd4c28abc45d7b.jpg

First question what do you intend doing with the bike ? School runs or go on big cycles join a club type thing?

Whats your budget? other than the voucher you have

Well I'm not a big long distance cyclist.... more going in and out of town, going to school etc.... as a means transport....
    Budget really depends on what the bike's like.... I mean i'm not opposed to investing in something I love that will stand the test of time :)

The voucher's for Joe Daly's, which is a really good place apparently, though seems pricey enough and I don't know about the extent of their range

• Advertisement

I didn't say don't get a fixie, just get one with drop handlebars. You said you were curious about them, I say they're great.
    Oh OK sorry I picked you up wrong.... when you say they're not the best for long distance I assume you mean something a lot further than I'd manage to rack up... I only average at under 20km a day or something :)

Advertisement