Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making your own sea salt

Options
  • 08-10-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done this? An essential skill if you wish to preserve your food stocks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

No , never done it . Forgive my ( possible ) ignorance but is it not a case of boiling sea water until it has evaporated leaving a salt residue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well the traditional method is solar drying. Filtered seawater is dried in beds like this below.

new-picture.png

I suppose you could boil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Given Ireland's inclement weather and with the alternative being the cost of fuel needed for evaporating the water it would be probably be cheaper to buy and stockpile salt rather than try and make your own, although in a Mad Max world Salt could be the currency, I'd have more faith in it than the shaky Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sidders

works perfectly i did uit in college ,

had steak and boiled salt for dinner that night aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

In the old days,with your peat fire going near enough 24/7 for the cooking or heating etc.folks near the coast just kept a skillet or pot full of sea water brine evaporating by the fire to provide the household salt.
    Trick is find a free enough heat source and plenty of seawater.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Excellent source available here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

The old man in The Old Man and The Sea did this by pouring some sea water into his boat and allowing it to evaporate. Then again he lived in a hot climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I haven't tried it, but it looks fairly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Thank you for that,does l00k easy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dragging up an old thread I know, but useful to stick all this info together.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057156289

Someone on the cooking forum has done it relatively easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement