Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting DVD to MKV for Iomega Media Player.

• 08-10-2011 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

I've tried several converters. But any that shrink the file compromise the video and some don't include AC3. Make MKV is the only one that works, but the file sizes are the same as the original DVDs. Is this the only solution?

Thanks in advance.

Freddie.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Try Handbrake, use the high-profile preset with a rate factor (RF) of 16-17.

That will give you something very close in quality to the DVD. Lower RF numbers give better quality so play around with the settings if needs be.

If it's taking too long, reduce the H264 settings (ie use less reference and b-frames, use a quicker motion estimation range, etc). The quality will stay the same, the output file will be bigger.

Just choose AC3 passthrough in the audio settings if you want to retain the AC3 track off the DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

That will give you something very close in quality to the DVD. Lower RF numbers give better quality so play around with the settings if needs be.

If it's taking too long, reduce the H264 settings (ie use less reference and b-frames, use a quicker motion estimation range, etc). The quality will stay the same, the output file will be bigger.

Just choose AC3 passthrough in the audio settings if you want to retain the AC3 track off the DVD.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.:)

Handbrake works great thanks. Fantastic quality, even when compressed to 2GB in MKV. Only one slight problem. Even though I add a second track with AC3 pass-thru for the 5.1, the optical output of the Iomega player only shows as PCM 48 (Front L&R+centre) on my Sony TA-VE215 surround. (I know she's a bit long in the tooth but working perfectly). Looks like I'll have to add a discrete 5.1 track and connect the old -fashioned way with six cables. Oh well....can't have everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Even though I add a second track with AC3 pass-thru for the 5.1, the optical output of the Iomega player only shows as PCM 48 (Front L&R+centre) on my Sony TA-VE215 surround.

Most basic media players like the iomega , wdtv , etc. dont allow you to choose which audio track to play , or if they do , theres no option to change between tracks once the media is playing.
    They usually start with the first available track , and that would be basic stereo.

Best option , dont add a second track , have one track in AC3 , your amp can handle this and most other devices will mix down to stereo if they cant handle the AC3.

andy1249 wrote: »
    Most basic media players like the iomega , wdtv , etc. dont allow you to choose which audio track to play , or if they do , theres no option to change between tracks once the media is playing.
    They usually start with the first available track , and that would be basic stereo.

Best option , dont add a second track , have one track in AC3 , your amp can handle this and most other devices will mix down to stereo if they cant handle the AC3.

The Iomega actually does, but just outputs all tracks as PCM 48 (this is on the optical output). The Sony TA-VE215 that I have can take individual inputs (and the Iomega can output them) so I'll try that too. The quality of the files processed by Handbrake is truly incredible. No visible compression loss on the video.

• Advertisement
Advertisement