Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiet cars

• 08-10-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I got an app on my iPhone to measure sound called decibel ultra (free).

Just used it in the car coming up the M2. Read from 80-85 db at 120k/h. Apparently hearing damage can begin at 85.

Noise on a long drive can be really tiring and annoying. So what cars a quiet and what's not, I reckon my e200 was quiet but never measured it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,552 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont know what E class you had but I believe the w124 was pretty much the bench mark for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Depends. Its a combination of powertrain noise, wind noise and road noise. Within that you have structure-borne noise and airborne noise.

Generally cars with larger alloys, wider tyres or firmer suspension will be more susceptible to road noise.

One of the quietest cars I've driven was the BMW 5GT. Its like a tomb, albeit an ugly one.

When you measure the noise level in the car and it outputs a dB reading - is that A weighted? As the human ear does not perceive loudness equally at all frequencies hence the A weighting idea. Also, you have to consider the frequency spectrum, a peak at a particular frequency can be extremely irritating.....

Advertisement