Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N2 - Monaghan to Emyvale Road Improvements

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Started before Christmas 2010 and has had a few periods of virtually nothing happening for weeks from what I've seen. Not been up that way in a few weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

As I said the council are involved so I presume it works in around their program of works in other areas.

Passed through it 2 weeks ago and a lot done and a lot more to do :) Because it's semi online there's some bits with several layers on and more bits still down in a hole but it's coming on. If I'm back up that way I'll get snaps (dont expect to be for a while though) as there's traffic lights right in the middle of the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

While very welcome, I expect these minor works do not represent the final solution for the route to the North-West, but are more of an interim measure.

I dont think they were ever intended to be ardmacha but as you say very welcome. I've done the spin up along the N2/A5 a few times and if we could just straighten out a few bits of our end and get the far end dualled it's be great but I don't think the Nordies / London would fall for that :)

The spin I did about 2 weeks ago I spent several miles sitting behind convoys at 35 - 40 mph (I was in the North so mph :) ) and more at 20mph behind tractors. One held up everyone for miles outside Omagh heading south into Omagh and all the way along the bypass as traffic was heavy coming in the opposite direction. Torture :mad:

Surprised noone has commented on this since.

I came back down this was last night in the dark and saw the roadworks signs as I came into Monaghan from Emyvale but to my surprise I didn't encounter any roadworks but a nice wide(er) straight(er) road instead.

I wouln't think they are fully finished but I didn't see any machines about either. I'd say they are substantially complete and might just need to tidy up the sides / landscaping etc possibly when the weather improves.

Only a small stretch but anything along the bad spots on the route is welcome.

It's not really the 5 minutes off the journey it spares it's the not losing 5 years due to the stress of driving the old route that's most welcome!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Been driving it the last month to aughnacloy. Works on it daily and most times in two spots. Nice road now. Between Cavan and there its 4 set of work!

Havent been back up this way in a while. I would assume these works are finished up and complete now. Can anyone confirm?

Have they started any works on the next phase yet?

cargo wrote: »
    Havent been back up this way in a while. I would assume these works are finished up and complete now. Can anyone confirm?

Have they started any works on the next phase yet?

Was up this way yesterday. All finished up and site demobilised. No sign of any works on Phase 2 or 3 of this yet.

Short little stretch but a nice relief to the bad bends all the same. Only a small stretch of really bad bends / road now before you hit Emyvale. God that A5 is an awful kip though once you travel a bit further north across the border... (thats for another thread though) :)

Passed though here today and the next phase of this has kicked off which will remove the last bad bends between Monaghan and Emyvale.

Site clearing is substantially advanced and fencing in going in place along the route marking out the route. All works off-line at the minute but you can see where it will run on-line in places (like the last phase) once full works are underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Travelled on it today, and there have been nice improvements from the last roundabout at the northern end of the Monagahan bypass as far as the National School at Corracrin.

It's not a straight section of road by any means, but the bends are easy to negotiate and there are much clearer lines of sight, plus a footpath/cycle path on the left-hand side as you're heading north.

There's only a very short distance from there to Emyvale,

The N2 north of Emyvale to the border is a reasonably wide single-carriageway with no real bad bends.

The A5 is bloody terrible! Apart from a short stretch north of Aughnacloy and a a few short sections north of Ballygawley (and one very short section north of Strabane) where there are climbing lanes, it's almost impossible to overtake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement