Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

video capture card?

Options
  • 08-10-2011 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

hi, my son(14) is looking to buy a video capture card(for xbox 360) and i was wondering what is one and what would be a decent one for him btw its a surprise for his birthday so i need a little help as i know damn all about these things. thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

How much do you want to spend on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

no idea i dont know what they start at and where they go to but i'd say somewhere in the middle

Really going to need something to work on, they start at very cheap (15-20) and can go to quite a few hundred for a very good one.
    The hauppage HD-PVR is probably the "standard" at this point. It's what I use. That's about 200 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Have a quick read of this :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66850642&postcount=2

Let us know how much you think you might spend on one

Tallon wrote: »
    Have a quick read of this :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66850642&postcount=2

Let us know how much you think you might spend on one

i read this and then tried to suss my son out and he was talking about the dazzle or roxio and 200 would be a bit above my limit at the minute

• Advertisement

granda wrote: »
    i read this and then tried to suss my son out and he was talking about the dazzle or roxio and 200 would be a bit above my limit at the minute
    Don't get a dazzle, get an Easycap and he will love it :)

cheers tallon but what about the roxio one he was talking about as he seemed to want that one more but i will happily go with your advice and get the easycap

is this the easycap you where talking about tallon

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=30-75-VG250&brands=QUALITYGOODS

plus do i need anything else to go with it
    thanks for the help and sorry about any stupid questions

No stupid questions, only stupid answers (Which I hope these are not :P)

Yeah, that's it

You will need splitter cables if you want to play the game through the TV at the same time.

All the details should be in the thread I linked too

The Roxio one you speak of is supposed to do HD, but I haven't heard any reports of if it works well or not, so it's a risk.

To be honest, the easycap with all the cables for splitting etc would probably be the best place to start, especially if a Hauppage is a little out of your range at the moment (and so it should be, I made my first experiments with an easycap before buying a hauppage too.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replies folks but just one more question i've been reading that there may be a problem with easycap and win 7 ,is this true or is it fixed

There was a guy here a few weeks back who couldn't get it to work with W7, so I think the problem might still be there :(

I used the roxio at GAMEfest, it is tiny, and records in HD. It's really good actually for the price

I heard it's not the best quality, but I haven't confirmed that

cheers all but i,m gonna get him the easycap so that should keep him happy for a while

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

just a thought , does the easycap (the chinese ...er homage to the EZcap)you can get from ebay work with pal 60?
    I dont think it does , and some 360 games will only work pal 60 ..I could be wrong (as a PS2 is about the most recent thing I've been using with mine)

EZcap doesn't

Both my Easycap's do....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Tallon wrote: »
    EZcap doesn't

Both my Easycap's do....
    ..aha ..er wait ..
    Isnt EZcap the original western made card , that was originally named easycap..but due to much pirating in china renamed itself to EZcap?
    And the easycaps you buy from ebay now (generally the DC60) is the fake chinese one?
    So the dodgy chinese knock off is better than the original capture card?
    ..boggle ..

after a bit of digging i've found out that there is a newer version of the easycap dc-60(dc-60+) that works with win 7 so it's of shopping i go

Post a link if you find a retailer please :)

• Advertisement

Yep, that looks like the job :)

well its bought now so i'll let you know how it goes

Advertisement