Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horn up dehorner

Options
  • 07-10-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    wondering if any of ye have used this, saw it at the ploughing and intrigued with the idea, you need to dehorn the calf in the first few days before the bud develops. it's pricey but would save a lot of needless wrestling limo calves if it did work, so any thoughts on it?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Was thinking of buying one of these "horn up" dehorners, anyone on here using them, would ye recommend? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Was thinking of buying one of these "horn up" dehorners, anyone on here using them, would ye recommend? Thanks

I bought one, used it about 3 times and I'd gladly sell it to anyone interested for half what I gave for it. I think that should tell u what I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

I bought one, used it about 3 times and I'd gladly sell it to anyone interested for half what I gave for it. I think that should tell u what I think of it.

+1 I have another one for sale (half price) pm if anyone wants it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

A certain company in the west of Ireland is going to love you guys. Did it not get hot enough, or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

+1 I have another one for sale (half price) pm if anyone wants it!

+1 you can have mine too, pure ****e

Ah ****e lads, was hoping ye would all pay it was great, but thanks Great to get honest opinions, what exactly was not good about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

TBO probally more my fault with timeings etc more than the dehorner but ended up sawing as yearlings 1 or 2 horns off 75% of the calves i did. Used conventional dehorner for 20 yrs and never had as much as a stump grow after so back that way now and alls good again

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

We have one and has worked great once got The hang of it....anything over 4 wks is trouble.. have done numerous now for us and friends with no issue but it needs to be very early stage..if i break mine ill be contacting some of The sellers above.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

We have one and has worked great once got The hang of it....anything over 4 wks is trouble.. have done numerous now for us and friends with no issue but it needs to be very early stage..if i break mine ill be contacting some of The sellers above.....

Ok, but contact me first, I was the first in and I'll sell it with a heart and a half!

• Advertisement

What's the best way to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

hugo29 wrote: »
    What's the best way to do it

Doesn't the ceramic element in them also give major bother from bruising it too hard to the calf's head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Have a gasbuddex one here, bought it for around 180e and has about 150 calves done over a few years. You screw a small bottle of gas into it and I find it a great yoke. Gets vey hot and never gave a minutes bother and it does about 20 calves to a bottle of gas. Can't see why you would spend the extra money on the horn up to be honest.

timing is critical with Hornup, anything over 4 weeks is a risk, but if bud is very small I would be happy it would work at 4 weeks. The calf needs to be fully restrained so 0 movement. Shave/clip hair (when feeding at blue feeder) to get perfect view of bud, once in crate and restrained, engaged bud and turn 180 each way and stop at beep.
    I did not get it right first time around, done 3 at 5-6weeks old and had them restrained with manpower...
    Any calf at 3-4 weeks old fully restrained I would be 99% sure I would get it spot on.
    We have never used anesthetic before even using old method but from now on ill use it with hornup and old method when we get one that's too old.

timing is critical with Hornup, anything over 4 weeks is a risk, but if bud is very small I would be happy it would work at 4 weeks. The calf needs to be fully restrained so 0 movement. Shave/clip hair (when feeding at blue feeder) to get perfect view of bud, once in crate and restrained, engaged bud and turn 180 each way and stop at beep.
    I did not get it right first time around, done 3 at 5-6weeks old and had them restrained with manpower...
    Any calf at 3-4 weeks old fully restrained I would be 99% sure I would get it spot on.
    We have never used anesthetic before even using old method but from now on ill use it with hornup and old method when we get one that's too old.

What method do you use for restraining in the crate,

Our crate has sprung bar too hold head down yhen use soft rope to strap nose too chin plate, good too have all clipping done first so they are in for as short a time as pissible...

How many of ye use local anestetic when debudding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Our crate has sprung bar too hold head down yhen use soft rope to strap nose too chin plate, good too have all clipping done first so they are in for as short a time as pissible...

id use it on one that was too strong and required the bud to be gouged out but my aim would be even with late developing limos is to get the timing right and iron piping hot and in and out rapid

Would you post a pic of one retrained, my crate seems similar

No never local, get them small if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Have a gasbuddex one here, bought it for around 180e and has about 150 calves done over a few years. You screw a small bottle of gas into it and I find it a great yoke. Gets vey hot and never gave a minutes bother and it does about 20 calves to a bottle of gas. Can't see why you would spend the extra money on the horn up to be honest.

That's what the vet uses here and it's a right job

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Don't the regulations tell us under 14days is ok without Anesthetic?
    We would try Polly ours as young as we can feel the bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Can they be got anymore, father had 1, brilliant job & could even do solo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have one great job no more lugging around gas crates!

Farrell wrote: »

I think I saw them in the local co-op a few months ago but not 100% sure.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I have one great job no more lugging around gas crates!

Is that the horn-up your on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Farrell wrote: »
    is this the one ye are on about lads?
    https://www.agridirect.ie/p/express_gas_dehorner_with_20mm_head

Yip that's the one.

Yip that's the one.

Wonder would they do a part exchange for my dehorner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Yip that's the one.

The 1 we had was in a red plastic case, slightly different design, is that the newer version

Advertisement