Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont laugh

Options
  • 07-10-2011 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Doing my mastering physics questions and finding the answers arnt giving too many problems. What i am having trouble with is entering the answers as required, i.e numerical fashion and to a certain amount of significant numbers. Sounds easy i know but i dont have experience with this. For example, can anyone tell me what 128240 (express your answer to three significant figures) should be entered as? I gave up and put it in as a power 1.28x10^5 but no good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Tachyon wrote: »
    For example, can anyone tell me what 128240 (express your answer to three significant figures) should be entered as? I gave up and put it in as a power 1.28x10^5 but no good.

Some of those computer based solutions do not like the carrots - ^. I would try
    1.28E5
    1.28E+5
    1.28E05
    1.28E+05

There's no link to click on for formatting help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tachyon

Doesnt seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭conorod

Try entering it as 1.28*10^5 (with an asterisk instead of an "x").

That's how it works in Mastering Chemistry anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

That's strange, when I was doing my MP assignments, if I didn't round it it would still accept the answer. However it wouldn't accept it if you rounded it too much.

You're not a JF in trinity by any chance?

Advertisement