Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Thesis for the skeptics.......

Options
  • 07-10-2011 9:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12

I know that creating fake videos nowadays is easy, BUT there are many videos on the internet that are really hard to reject as fake. We see many eye-witnesses in those video and many descriptions by them afterwards!!!
    To be honest, while I am rejecting most of them, there are some that I accept:

In Zeitun
    In Warraq
    In Jerusalem

The thesis is: "The mass promotion of those few Christian miracle-videos that might be genuine, can help world ethics and subsequently can help life on earth."
    Please comment/elaborate.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I see nothing worth commenting on in any of those videos.

I also want to remind you that this forum is not here for you to promote your own personal religious viewpoint, nor to promote your youtube channel. I'm leaving this open, but temporarily till I see where it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

(a) Just because you don't know how something happened doesn't mean it was supernatural, or your god specifically
    and
    (b) Sathya Sai Baba, and other God men in India and elsewhere, are alleged to have performed miracles, and they've been witnessed by many people. Millions of people see Sai Baba as divine. Why don't you give these any consideration?
    and
    (c) How do you know these alleged miracles were performed by God? Maybe the devil was behind them, in a bid to mislead people for his own reasons?

As for promoting these in a bid to help world ethics, I don't see anything about Christian ethics specifically that's good for life on earth. There are good parts in it for sure, and there are many bad parts too, if you read it with an objective eye.

What would be good for life on earth would be promotion of skeptical inquiry and scrutiny of all world views, the shedding of taboos which prevent legitimate discussion and critique of religious and other beliefs, and an objective analysis of what would be good for society and what would be bad. To start with we could get rid of religious education in public schools, and instead introduce some sort of philosophy / ethics class where this kind of thing is discussed and debated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 last777chance

Dear friend, you said: "...To start with we could get rid of religious education in public schools, and instead introduce some sort of philosophy / ethics class where this kind of thing is discussed and debated...."

All western philosophy is based on Greek ancient classical philosophy (Plato, Socrates etc)
    By saying that, you imply that Plato and the like are more ethical than the New Testament.
    I reject that easily, by using the texts themselves:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    LOVE NEVER FAILS."
    1st Corinthians ch.13 ver.4-8

and even more:

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
    But I tell you: LOVE YOUR ENEMIES and pray for those who persecute you"
    Matthew chapter 5 verses 43-44

No matter how much you search Plato and the like, you won't find such a perfection. And this is a Greek speaking, who has been taught those things since childhood.

If you can provide me verses from Greek ancient texts (or newer ones) that surpass such a perfection, I probably need to reconsider.
    Otherwise, maybe you are the one to reconsider.

There is also the case where you cannot provide me with such texts and still you do not want to reconsider (about the quality of Christian Ethics I mean, not believing in God necessarily).
    In such a case you are biased against Christianity (in total) for your own reasons.
    Regards.

PS: I really hope that this is a free speaking forum.......

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This is a free speaking forum. However...

Your post above is completely off topic for this forum. There are plenty of other places more suited to it, but not here. I had a feeling you were using the forum to promote your own religious agenda under the pretence of posting videos for comment.

Thus, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement