Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding for Minecraft

Options
  • 06-10-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Im looking to make a minecraft server on my Mac (10.6.8), the server requires port 25565 to be forwarded. I have a ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v3.

So far I have gone into NAT, turned on port forwarding (I set both ports to 25565, and the server ip to the ip of my mac, 192.168.1.2, which is reserved). I turned firewall off, and restarted the router

No joy. When I type in my IP into minecraft (my actual ip: 86.xx.xxx.xxx:25565) it wont connect...

What am i doing wrong? - see screenshot for my router setup

2agkgbd.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Does 192.168.1.2:25565 work?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Does 192.168.1.2:25565 work?

Yes. Sorry I should have mentioned that it works fine

Did you forward both tcp and udp? You may have to make 2 separate rules, I'm not familiar with that router

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Did you forward both tcp and udp? You may have to make 2 separate rules, I'm not familiar with that router

Dont think I have that option. Heres what list I get when I want to set up a new open port:

17clyd.png

Dont think I have that option. Heres what list I get when I want to set up a new open port:

It must be a terrible router if it doesn't give you tcp/udp options in portforwarding and makes you turn off the firewall to work. Cheapest POS they could supply. Try setting the default server to the router ip. Other than that try get your hands on a Netopia

• Advertisement

OK, problem solved:

It turns out what I did actually forwarded the port, i just didnt know!

Apparently when you are running a server in minecraft, you only type your network IP in as the server ip (192.168.xx.xx:25565), but everyone else uses your public ip eg(86.243.xx.xx:25565)

OK, problem solved:

It turns out what I did actually forwarded the port, i just didnt know!

Apparently when you are running a server in minecraft, you only type your network IP in as the server ip (192.168.xx.xx:25565), but everyone else uses your public ip eg(86.243.xx.xx:25565)

Btw, what you were trying to do is called hairpin nat, some routers cope with it, others not. You're trying to get traffic to come back in the interface it went out. Your public ip address is on your dsl/internet port.

Advertisement