Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private car insurance vs. commercial car insurance

Options
  • 06-10-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have recently got work which will involve quite a bit of travel and so I am going to buy a new car. i have looked into almost everything to insure i can keep costs down including car type, fuel type, engine size and so on. the only thing im confused about is to do with insurance.

many of the cars i have been looking at have a commercial equivalent and i was told that the insurance would be cheaper if i was to get the commercial equivalent. i'm not sure if this is true as it will not be used as a commercial vehicle and so will not have commercial insurance. i am assuming that you only get commercial insurance if it has a commercial use but i could be wrong.

I have not been able to find out much about it online and am planning to call some insurance companies about it but i'm not sure how honest they will be about it.

i appreciate any input into this as i am quite confused.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

There are a couple of different factors really.

Firstly vehicle type.

Some companies will only quote vehicles like car vans (Golf Van,Focus Van etc) commercially,likewise for vehicles like crew cabs(Navarros,Isuzu TFS etc) however some insurers will cover them privately.

The major difference between commercial and private insurance is the benefits.Comprehensive cover on a commercial vehicle will have far less features and benefits than compared to comprehensive on cars.

All commercial policies will cover you for towing a trailer (usually with up 3 tonne carrying capacity).

What exactly will you be using the vehicle for?

If its to go back and forth to work only then you will likely have alot of difficulty taxing a vehicle commercially.The laws changed (and made an absolute bollocks of it :rolleyes:) a year or so ago and they basically state a commercial vehicle has to be used for commercial purposes eg if you are a carpenter,plumber etc.

Your best bet is probably to find a decent mid level diesel car to be honest.Least you will have decent benefits if you go comp and wont have any hassle taxing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 youngmagee

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of something like a Toyota corlla 1.4 diesel or Ford focus 1.6 diesel. I only need really need it for commuting.

Advertisement