Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPal wrong exchange rate

Options
  • 06-10-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

hi everybody , seams pointless but i bought a led keyring from h.k. off ebay
    and i paid :
    it cost £0.70 and i was charged €0.84 by pay-pal
    including postage

by my calculations of 3 sources, XE, windows gadget(msn) and another website the cost would only be €0.82 (at most through the day(including rounding up)
    (when i paid for it would only cost €0.81)
    so why was i over-charged by 2c , really nothing but if they got 2c off everybody then it would be a lot,

any thoughts
    is there some conversion tax

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Yes indeed , there is a conversion fee , ( not a tax ) and in your case it is 2.5 % above the wholesale exchange rate .

Below is extract from your Paypal user agreement where you can find all the fees you will incur using Paypal :

www.paypal.com
    If your transaction involves a currency conversion, it will be completed at a foreign exchange rate determined by a financial institution, which is adjusted regularly based on market conditions. The exchange rate is adjusted regularly and may be applied immediately and without notice to you. This exchange rate includes a processing fee expressed as a certain percentage above the wholesale exchange rate at which PayPal obtains foreign currency, and the processing fee is retained by PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Seriously? You start a thread over 2c! Paypal can charge whatever rate they want. They show you the rate before you pay, so if you didn't like it, then you shouldn't have paid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement